MidSouth Garrison
Sign in to follow this  
Nym

Hello from Knoxville (again)

So, first let me say hello, again. I've not been here to the Mid South Garrison site in some time ... about  10 years. That said I have recently acquired an Anovos Shadowtroopoer armor kit (new old stock). I plan on starting work on assembling everything (other than the helmet as the kit came with it already assembled) in the next few weeks. I am hoping to be able to end up with a TX armor set that any member of the 501st could be proud of.  I thought I would return here as it seems to be a great community full of helpful people and resources. I'd put off for some time getting back around to working on another Stormtrooper costume until I could do it right. I have a set of white armor that I purchased probably 10 years ago at a bargain price (Rubies... I know, I know). It served it's purpose especially after spending time rigging up a strapping system on it that would actually hold things in place. I had a good idea that I'd never have a chance of joining the 501st with that armor. So here I am 10 years later hopefully off to a good start and will hopefully be on my way to having a set of black armor that any member of the 501st would be proud of.

All that said I hope to be posting pictures of my progress in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

Welcome back. I am the squad leader for Knox Eisley Squad covering East TN (other than Chattanooga area) and currently reside in Seymour. We have quite a few active troopers in and around the Knoxville area and are expanding. I've got a TX and a few other TK variations finished and working on and am also a former GML for the Garrison. If you need any assistance with your build or need any general legion info please reach out. We'll probably have a few larger build days coming up after people are able to settle back in after Dragon*Con, but individuals are working on stuff all the time. 

Thanks @xtrachrispy, I'm hoping to begin work on my TX this weekend. I've been doing research and will probably be spending day one trying to round up the majority of tools ect. that I don't have laying around. Also, I was thinking about ordering the bracket set from trooperbay, it looks like it would be quite useful.

It looks like it could be quite useful. On the other hand it also looks like it could end up promoting cracks at the edges of the armor when put through the rigors of trooping. Any thoughts opinions or advice is much appreciated.

13 hours ago, Nym said:

Thanks @xtrachrispy, I'm hoping to begin work on my TX this weekend. I've been doing research and will probably be spending day one trying to round up the majority of tools ect. that I don't have laying around. Also, I was thinking about ordering the bracket set from trooperbay, it looks like it would be quite useful.

It looks like it could be quite useful. On the other hand it also looks like it could end up promoting cracks at the edges of the armor when put through the rigors of trooping. Any thoughts opinions or advice is much appreciated.

That is 100% true, while the bracket system is screen accurate and could get you Centurion Status on your build, it is all but guaranteed to create fault lines that will cause the armor to crack. Personally I would not do it on a suit you plan to troop in, it will be more likely to break and will severely limit your mobility due to constant fear of it breaking. I highly suggest using line in snaps (specifically from Tandy Leather, not walmart or Joannes) and of course velcro where needed. 

@xtra Good to know that my thought process was on track regarding that. On a sad note I'm going to have to put off starting on my build till next weekend. On the bright side of things my boots arrived today. Got a smoking bargain on GH  Bass Amsterdams used but look like they have only been worn/walked in a few times at most and for $24 I couldn't pass them up.

• Like 1