MidSouth Garrison

Hi, everyone. I just signed up to join this forum. I haven't done anything in terms of 501st approvals. Not even sure what that entails. I'm an Air Force veteran and huge Star Wars fan.

I own a Shock Trooper, Tie Pilot and Kylo Ren costume. I just finished the Shock Trooper and wore it at the ICCC event this past weekend. None of my stuff is 501st approved. Can I still participate in events with this group?

Hope this is the correct place to post new member info.

Thanks folks.

Jim

trooper 1.jpg

Their is a forum on submissions and how to do it. You need pictures of front back and then an action pose for your forum pic.  Once submitted it will be judged and they will let you know if you need to chance something and resubmit. But children don't have to do that I believe.  But there is a junior academy for that

The Galactic Academy rules are way more flexible since the kids will likely grow out of the costumes soon afterwards.  If I recall correctly, a parent/guardian must accompany them at all times.

Here is the current link to the 501st approval specs for a Shock Trooper.  http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_shocktrooper

To amend what Chris said above, you would need >=5 clear pictures sent in (hopefully with a fairly clear or solid , perhaps contrasting background): one of you in costume from head to toe from the front, from the left side, from the back, from the right side, and one with your helmet or "bucket" off, but held in hand.  I think you can also do an action pose, too.  I advise that each picture be as clear and close up as possible...while still showing the full costume at each angle.  Once you have them, you can send them to one of the Mid South Garrison's GML (Garrison Membership Liaison) to get approval and be set up as a 501st member.  Hopefully, the GML will be able to approve it, or guide you to make changes so that it can be approved.

For example, I do not see a shoulder pad (or pauldron) listed, even as an optional item.  However, I am not an expert on stormtroopers.  The GMLs are David Camacho (Nacho) and Robbie Amburgey (MxPxRobbie) ... so either can probably assist you... or give you any updates to the process.  Good luck.

Thank you, Lord Kosh. I guess my question is also do I need 501st approval to attend and participate in events with this group?

I actually used the guidance you referenced. I added the pauldron despite it not being listed. I like the look. And I was a sergeant in the Air Force (the white pauldron denotes sergeant).

Jim

Hey man!  Saw you at ICCC on Saturday(I was in TIE outfit).  I'm not in a leadership role, so they can speak more clearly to it, but I believe the answer you are looking for is, yes, you would have to be a member to attend events with the group.  

20 hours ago, JamesDillard said:

Thanks, #CrazyMarlin. That's rough. I don't know if my armor would pass the review. Oh well.

Hey, it costs exactly zero dollars to try and is a very easy process.  Any one of us are happy to help you with it.  The worst that can happen is you get a response with some pointers on how to get "up to snuff".  I am not a CRL expert(I know the TIE requirements quite well, and that's about it) but you looked great on Saturday when I saw you.  Its an awesome group of people, and becoming a member was one of the best things I have done.

Give it a shot!

I agree with Braden, Jim, your shock trooper looked pretty good to me, though I am not an expert on armor.  I saw you as well, including your "little Vader".  :)  I was either a staff officer (black) or navy trooper if I saw you on Saturday... or a  line officer (olive-grey) if I saw you on Sunday... I don't recall what day I saw you.

You probably saw Chris Bower in his Mouse/Kilt trooper at ICCC... which isn't an approved costume either.  Chris does has several costumes that are approved, and he switched back and forth throughout the weekend... and worked the table at ICCC as well.  In that regard, you could use the pauldron for fun as long as you troop at least one event per year in an approved costume.

You can definitely be a handler or helper without having any suit approval and be a "recruit"... and hang out with us at most events.  Only the events with a specific number of tickets or passes have any real restrictions on this, and some of them still leave enough passes for handlers/helpers to join us.  So unless the details of the event stress limited numbers of troopers or handlers, you can still join us in this regard... until you have an officially approved costume, that is.  :) To be a full member, you do need an approved costume.

However, based on the look of it, and the fact that you used our CRL in the first place for guidance, I'd say that you are well on your way to an approved costume (if not already there).  Both David and Robbie definitely have armor based costumes and are quite knowledgeable in the process.  Also, they may know of approval amendments that may make things like trooper pauldrons and other accessories work even if they are not stated in the CRL specifically... but again, I'm no expert on armor suits. 

The only things I noticed... having taken some time to compare and contrast the shock trooper armor pieces, and knowing the type of detail that approval processes look for in general, is that you may need to reverse /invert the center button box on the front/abdomen plate.   I don't recall if it is a separate molded part of the suit or part of the abdomen plate molded as a single piece, but that is about it.  You may need to add some red paint/detail to the forearm pieces so that the red stripe goes all the way around the forearms, too.  Other things like adjusting straps should be relatively easy to modify, if needed, but that is where the GML's come in.  They aren't going to just reject it and say "no", "no thanks", or "request denied".  They will either approve it, or give you a list of the things you need to change to get it approved, and remember that they know how you'd feel since they went through it for each of their 501st costumes.  Either of them may have some tricks you can use to fix the suit components to make them right without having to replace or toss the ones you have. Not that you'd have to toss them at all for your personal collection.

If you'd rather not modify the armor pieces that you would need to change for 501st approval, you could also get another copy of only the few parts you'd need to modify (ex: just the forearms and front abdomen plate or button box) and rework those so you can switch them out.  Use the ones approved for 501st events, and the others could act as backups.  You could still use the unapproved part when you are doing your own thing.  You could also do an officer or crewman (as a soft costume option) for your 501st approved costume, and keep the shock trooper for your own use the way it is for things like Dragon*Con, Celebration, etc.  Again, I don't think you would have to change a lot, and may not need to change anything at all... so give it a try.  :)

I don't think we have any local Shock Troopers yet, so it would be great to add one...  I'm positive that either Robbie or David would be happy to provide guidance so that it can get approved.  Looks like you already put a lot of work into it, so sending the email to either of the GML's with the five or six images to find out is free and might be all you need.  "Uncle Palpatine wants you" :sith: "Do it!"

Think of it this way: Absolute worse case scenario is that you STILL have a wonderful suit of your own to use for Halloween, conventions, and other things you and your family may want to do on your own.  Best case scenarios is that (perhaps with a little more work if needed), you have both a wonderful suit of your own... AND an approved 501st costume.  :)

@LordKosh - Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll figure out next steps. I appreciate it.

I love my Shock Trooper costume. As you probably know, I believe the only way to have one is to create it. It's my first creation, and I know it needs tweaking to be more accurate.

Jim