MidSouth Garrison
Lady_Jayne

Hello and Stuff from La Vergne!

Hi everyone! My name is Trixie.

I am aiming on joining the 501st this year!

I am located in La Vergne, TN.. Just about 20 minutes shy of Murfreesboro.

I found y'all by going online and searching for 501st chapters near me!

I am requesting access to the forums because I am 100% completely new to this. Being on a forum, Cosplay, all of it.

I have no idea where to get anything, what to do with it when I get it, where to go, basically I am helpless...

Hey! Welcome! We spoke a bit on Facebook. You're looking for a Legacy TK like Jes Gistang, right? I know @Samfranchat has one of those and @galacticat is working on one - we're going to get back to it once the weather warms up a bit. Tagging them so they can help with sourcing of parts.  

Welcome to the MSG!

Welcome!  I'm over in Old Hickory.  Not too far away.  Not a TK expert, but happy to help in any way.  Welcome to the forums!

Welcome!  :)

You can also join us at most events as a general helper/handler while you are waiting to find or build your own costume(s).  You'd meet some of the troops, maybe get some pointers, and see how others made their armor fit.  I noticed that the way people have organized the straps is quite different on the inside of the suit based on preferences, even though it should look the same form the outside looking at it.  Handlers/helpers can help take pictures, monitor costumed characters for children out of sight or things like gum and paint (depending on the event), as well as extra hands for when a trooper can't quite reach something in costume.

If you like officers and crewman costumes, you could potentially start with one of those... while you build your TK armor suit.  Having two or more costumes means you'd have options at events.  The softer Imperial officer/crewman costumes might be more comfortable, especially for longer troops where you might want a lighter costume for the later half.  Some components are even shared by other costumes, so things like flight suits, the belt, boots, and a hat might help you towards other costumes such as TIE pilots, gunners, and other troopers.  Just don't count on any of the officer pieces working towards a stormtrooper. :trooper: The white armor costumes are definitely more recognizable though, and we simply can never have too many stormtroopers.

Good luck and check the event calendars frequently if you want to start meting the garrison.  Music City Squad (Nashville area) and the general MidSouth Garrison sections have the events local to Middle TN.  We add them as the requests come in, so it can change often.

Welcome! I’m also in La Vergne! 

If your our looking for legacy TK, check out whitearmor.net as well fo additional help sourcing costume and parts. As Michael said, soft costumes may be an option if you want something while building your armor and you can do a lot of costumes with the black jumpsuit. I would suggest imperialofficer.com or jrs501st.com for sourcing suggestions for those costumes. 

Welcome Trixie! :) I started as a total newbie as well, I still don't know much about armor but I'm now the proud owner of a couple of small power tools and every grit of sandpaper plus an array of glues and spray paints, haha. It's a lot of fun learn the stuff that goes into these builds, it's really given me a great appreciation for Star Wars and for all costuming. Everything is learnable!

Looking forward to meeting you!!

Welcome,  I started clueless in August but the ladies and gents here are fantastic and was approved by December.  There is tons of help available.  Feel free to PM me for my Facebook and I'll give you what knowledge I've got.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:46 PM, RynoHawk said:

Awesome! Maybe we could get together and go over some things! I've ordered my armor already, but it's going to be about 6 months or so before it's in. I had a few other characters in mind, but would love a second opinion!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fleurderys said:

Looking forward to meeting you!!

17 hours ago, fleurderys said:

Looking forward to meeting you as well!

Welcome! As Robbie mentioned, I'm also working on a Legacy TK. It'll hopefully be my first 501st costume! Right now I'm only in Rebel Legion but I lurk here often. :)