TreyWayne

Greetings from the Memphis Area!

Hi! I'm Trey Alberson, joining from Germantown, TN (suburb of Memphis). I'm new to the 501st and formal costuming organizations, but have experience in costuming from years of Trek and other fandom. Looking forward to leaning in and being able to learn more, while being able to do good for the community, too. 

I'm a father, husband and have a house full of four legged creatures. Professionally, I lead a sales team for a global technology company. I support St. Jude as a volunteer/Hero/runner and give time to a handful of smaller organizations and events. 

Learned about MSG through the 501st site, but I don't believe I have any connections here. Hoping to build some so I can get local support selecting a first kit, learning how MSG/501st is continuing to operate during the pandemic. My hope is to have a kit or two complete and approved by the time we can resume large gatherings and events.

I'm a stout guy so I'm also looking for some specific guidance on what might work best for a guy with a "dad bod." The Boba Fett build of my dreams may be out of reach for a while....

All Hail the Empire!

Defintely. I would rock the new Boba Fett look :) It doesn't appear that there's a CRL yet or I would make that my target for sure. 

Hi Trey.  Welcome to the MSG.  :)  We have a nice squad of troopers in the Memphis area, and they do a great job with events in the area.  One thing that can be a positive about the COVID drop in activities overall is that it gives time to work on costumes.  Hopefully, by the time we are doing events full force again, you'll have something approved. 

As a short guy myself, I recommend something in the officer or crewman range since it is easier to adjust for height and weight with such costumes.  Not only that, it is easier to assemble the pieces you'd need.  Not only that, several of them can be built on later for more involved costumes.  For example, the basic black crewman flight suit can be used for some versions of the TIE pilots and Imperial Gunners, etc.  Even the grey flight suit for the scanning crew can be used for a AT-ST driver.   There are a bunch of different officer classes that can use the black tunic, and while the olive/grey tunic usually only varies in the rank of the officer, both tunics give you a nice alternative for varied options.  You really can't have too many officers or troopers (including TIE, biker scouts, or gunners) at events.  And, you can be using this costume while you make a more complex costume.  Win-win

The Memphis group has a good group of biker scouts, which might be another one that you could do. And, you might find a group of locals to help you with yours if you need it.  While it does have a black flight suit, I think some of the details may be different (like pocket placement, etc.).  However, as long as you like the costumes, any of them might be fun combination.  It would be ideal if the simple one is in some way a stepping stone to the more complex one, but if you like them both, the variety is fun too.

BTW: I removed the duplicate thread... the one that had no replies on it yet.  :)

Thanks Lord_Kosh - great suggestions and truly appreciated. Starting with something simple like you suggested. Biker Scout would be fun eventually, especially if I have some local support. 

Welcome!  I'm here in Nashville, but when we are not in a pandemic I often visit Memphis for work and have trooped out there before.  Great group of folks, and you'll find plenty of folks to help you virtually.

CrazyMarlin - I'm in NashVegas a lot for work as well (or, was in the "before times") so may be able to troop up there in the future, too. Looking forward to meeting the folks here and across Tennessee!