Dargydoof

Hello everyone!

Hello everyone! I am William Dylan Moore, most people just call me dylan. I am not a part of any costumeing group. Currently I am deployed to Afghanistan but will be returning to the states in 2011. I heard about you guys from just looking at all kinds of random stuff on google. I have wanted to get into cosplay for a while and though this would be fun seeing how i love the star wars movies and video games. I hope to get back soon and get started on this. I will need a bit of help geting a costume though as i have no clue on how to make one or where i would be able to buy one or anything like that.

Welcome Dylan,

Just keep hanging around here and you'll find out what you need to know to build a costume. Stay safe and come home soon.

Dylan, first of all, thank you very much for your service to our country. Please watch your six, and return safely. I know you stated in another thread you might build a clone first....since this will be your first costuming experience, I would recommend another build first, then try tackling a clone build. Once you return, come hang out with us. Get to know the group, and you will find out which costume you want to build. If you decide you want to do the clone, we can help you with that too.

Now, give me 10 push-ups for using the word "cosplay" on this forum. :P

Thank you for your service. Come home safe. Merry Christmas. Look forward to trooping with you. :P

Cosplay.... thats what 16 years old do with styrofoam swords and craft foam armor :P

welcome aboard and stay safe!!

Welcome William, glad you found your way here (from Facebook)and got the access issue straightened out.

Welcome to the boards. I noticed from your other thread you mentioned wanting to start with an ARC or clone commander. Take it from someone that did a clone commander as their first build. It's entirely possible to pull off, but you will pull your hair out. If you are wanting to build something to troop in and get trooping asap, then commander or arc is not the way to go. My advice is build something quicker and then take your time building a commander or arc once you see how the whole armor building thing works. I had someone who had built a commander showing me what to do and it was still an intense build. That being said, if you do decide to go ahead with a commander, then there are several of us that have been through the build that can lend advice.

let me start with saying sorry for calling it cosplay. and i do believe i will listen to everyones advice and not do ARC or clone commander for my first build. Any reccomendations on something that would be an easy first?

Welcome!! I'd start with a Stromtrooper its a good way to get into armor and see if you like it and its not that hard to put together.

Welcome!! I'd start with a Stromtrooper its a good way to get into armor and see if you like it and its not that hard to put together.

Where might i be able to aquire materials or possible a kit to make said things?

As the others said, a Clone is possible as a first build, but prepare to use lots of profanity. It took me almost three years from start to finish. I got so pissed at my build that I shelved it for about a year and a half. Build a TK (Stormtrooper) first, you'll learn basic building skills, and be able to get it done a lot faster.

Other than that, welcome, and stay safe over there. My best friend just went back for his 4th time, to Iraq.

Just a word of warning...

The Stormtrooper USED to be an easy kit to put together. Not anymore. I would consider Jon and myself to be pretty good at putting TK armor together. I have built a complete suit, from box-to-body in about 3 hours by myself before. But that was the old suit, the FX... which is no longer available.

The new suit, the AM, is a completely different animal. It took Jon, Tech, me and Dave, working together, non stop, with a FULL shop FIFTEEN HOURS to build David's suit. The Stormtrooper is no longer a "Starter suit". I would put it on the same level as a clone, as far as trimming and assembly. You don't have to paint it though, which is the only plus.

In fact, JON, who has put together quite a few Clone Troopers suits, and is considered by some to be "the Master" of Clone Armor, said that the AM suit, in his opinion, is WORSE than a Clone to put together.

Just a word of warning to any new person thinking they will get a Stormtrooper because it's the easiest.

I have been reading alot around the forums and have seen people talk about Skip (SL100) alot and he seems to be the guy to go to for geting stormtrooper kits. Does anyone know if he would possibly be able to help? Also something if you guys would let me or want me to, I have a descent camera and would love takeing pictures at any events you guys do. I would only be able to do that kind of stuff after work though or on weekends due to work schedual.

Send Skip a PM. Cameras are always welcome at events. We have garrison members that take pics all the time. You are welcome to do that as well.

stay away from that Skip guy :D

just kidding,yep i can help you get a set of trooper armor.

just get with me when you are looking at really getting into this and all will be revealed.

if you will be back then certainly come out to some events and we can show you more about this hobby and what we do.bring the camera to document how the suits are assembled,

and as for clones, ive got 2 Arc troopers.not only are you looking at building trimming and painting the armor.youve got pauldrons and dusters and pouches and it takes alot to either buy them or purchase them.

if you want an ARC then i would say to go join the clonetroopers.net forum and begin looking around.i believe someone near clarksvile can een help you get the clone armor :angry:

since all the armor suits are hard to build, build the one you want.

heres mine

PHOT0230.jpg

00000106.jpg

and when it was in the Star Wars Insider turned into the character "Alpha 66"

89AurodiumSwordFinal.jpg

thank you very much skip. i will be getting back to the states in a few months and will let you guys know when i am back. ill start with a stormtrooper for the moment seince it is a first time project and maby ill get with someone in clarksville that is building one currently and just sit back and watch them build it so i can get some tips and possibly experience if i help.

We were at the ft campbell family day a few years ago abd took pics. Look up 501st safety day on you tube to see some footage from the event

o thats cool. well if you ever want to fly on a chinook, one of my bosses is a 47 pilot. i think it would be cool to get some pictures of some clone troopers or stormtroopers sittng on the ramp while we were flying. i would have to work it out with him after i get to know you guys for a bit but its just an idea.

o thats cool. well if you ever want to fly on a chinook, one of my bosses is a 47 pilot. i think it would be cool to get some pictures of some clone troopers or stormtroopers sittng on the ramp while we were flying. i would have to work it out with him after i get to know you guys for a bit but its just an idea.

Great idea. If you can pull that off, I am sure you wouldn't have any trouble getting folks to participate.

youve got my attention now! :D

only.....im thinking a pic of ironman may be what id want to do!!

either way,thats a cool photo op for sure :angry:

when i get back ill talk to my boss about it. he is leaving to a different unit though but even if he does leave quick i know alot of pilots that are pretty cool.

Thank you for your service to our country sir. As others have stated get here back safely. These guys are a great bunch of guys and gals. The 501st is a great bunch of guys and it is one big family. When you get back stateside, I suggest that you come to an event and be a handler first and see how things are. After that start studing a costume and do the one you want to. However, always remember which is it is hard for me sometime to remember that this is just a hobby and just ment for fun.

CHINOOK PILOTS ARE GAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Just sayin. :P

Would Darth Maul be an easy first costume? I would have to learn how to use a lightsaber though. Also i have horribly unsteady hands and do believe i might have an issue doing my own makeup.