Griffin247

Intro, Info & Assistance - MSG & 501st Newbie

Hello MSG. My name is Jason Griffin. I live in the Hendersonville/Gallatin TN area. I am a husband and father of 2 girls. I set a goal for 2013 to get my own Stormtrooper suit, join the 501st and get involved trooping in the area.

I have been a SW fan since childhood and Stormtroopers were always my favorite characters. A few years ago, a friend from church (& I think former MSG member) showed me his Stormtrooper suit and planted a little seed. He and his family moved west and with him my only direct connection to costuming. Fast forward a few years, 2 kids and life..........but the seed kept growing. Finally I made a decision and set a goal to actuall do it.......join the 501st and get my own Stormtrooper costume.

I have been reading boards and getting excited (& confused). Here I am. I guess my first question is, where do I start? What do I buy? who can help me? Are there meetings? How long does it take? What should I expect to invest? Info, info, info........ Thanks in advance for the help/info & I look forward to being an active member very soon.

Thanks

Jason Griffin

Jgriffin247@comcast.net

Welcome Jason!

The prime place for Stormtrooper Armor info is here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/

Sign up for access and introduce yourself there also. Spend as much time as possible searching and reading. I spent several months doing so before I purchased my armor.

This particular thread gives a summary of the different armor makers:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

Take your time to find out which armor is best for you. Factors to consider are: your size, amount of free time you have to build it, your skill level, which movie version do you want to do, your budget...

You come to the right place man; many of us are old pros at this ask around and people will be glad to help you.

Welcome to the boards Jason. Laserbrain pretty much hit the nail on the head. Whitearmor.net is where you can find all the answers you seek. There is no real answer as to which is the best armor. It's more what's the best armor for your needs.

Welcome to the MSG Jason, feel free to come out to an event and meet everyone. And, you'll be able to look over some armor up close and see how it's built.

Hello and welcome Griffin. Laserbrain has directed to you to right place for all the info on TK armor. If you feel hesitant on putting the armor together yourself, I would highly recommend RS Propmasters. I have their kit and they put mine together. Cost a pretty penny but really worth the quality of work they do.

Not to be rude, but I guess there is only one way to ask....straightforward. I have seen the pics on the Facebook forum and you have a few members that are on the larger side. I too will never be accused of being small for a stormtrooper. :-) is there a kit more suited for a larger trooper???? Still waiting on my whitearmor.com access to be activated, answers may be there, but figure I would ask.

I would love to come to an event. If I am reading the forum correctly there is an event at D&B in the planning stages. I would love to attend and assist if I can. Obviously will not have armor, but those trooping could use assistance I am sure. Let me know.

Another question regarding blasters......I am looking at the sci-fire ANH E-11 and DLT-19, the forums I have read rate them very well. Any local personal pros/cons??? If not I may start my purchases there.

If anyone is in the Hendersonville immediate area and are open to meeting up for lunch or coffee to discuss options & maybe letting me see your armor, let me know.......I'm buying.

Griffin

Not rude at all to ask about size cause that will probably be the biggest factor in which armor you get. I think the largest Stormtrooper armor is AM (Armory Master). I got it cause I'm 6'3" 230lbs. It will fit someone heavier than me cause I had to trim some of the width off the the belly and legs. Another set for larger troops is RT-Mod but I think it is more for tall and slimmer than AM.

For the blasters, there are good reviews on the whitearmor boards of the sci-fi. They look good on their website too. I have a modded Hasbro but haven't messed with any other types. I would recommend waiting on purchasing one till you research more. There are some members on the boards who make them and get good feedback. Hyperfirm comes to mind.

Looks like AM or RT for me based on feedback, info, reading, research, research, reading & more reading w/ research Both seem to be common in the 501st, so I hope there are folks local familiar with the builds and are able/willing to direct/assist. I have reached out to both builders/mfgs of the kits and am waiting on a reply. For those with experience, what kind of timeframe am I looking at to hear back and get the kits??? Still looking at the hyperfirm/sci-fire weapons, may order that first to calm me while waiting on the armor kits. :-)

Any other info or direction is appreciated. Happy New Year.

Griffin

These guys are all correct, but AM isn't made anymore. The guys who made it have retired the molds and have moved on to a different suit. Nobody has their suit yet so nobody knows the sizes. RT stuff is pretty expensive, but I hear it's good.

If you haven't already, try emailing Clint at troopergear@gmail.com about an AM kit. He may have kits available from previous runs. He will at least have the latest info on them.

I have both and rt suit and a scifire dlt19. Love the rtmod armor I got an unmodded suit and it fight me almost perfectly at 6'3" and 225. Only think I would have done over is ask for extra width on the stomach. He can adjust his moulds to make them bigger. As far as blasters go I did a hasbro conversation e-11 and the scifire Dlt-19. They weigh almost exactly the same, the hyper firms are that light. I actually prefer the Dlt as a bigger trooper it doesn't look small like the e-11. I bring both to troops though my hands tend to fall asleep after hold the Dlt after a few hours.

While I am waiting on replies from Armor suppliers, would it be crazy to order other pieces I would need??? TKBoots, weapon, neck seal, under armor, etc...???? What would you suggest??? Excitement + impatience + 9 year old kid living in my brain that wants to be a Stormtrooper too = Antsy Jason. :-)

If you are dead set on TK then go ahead and start getting the smaller bits.

Recommendations:

Under Armor: http://www.eastbay.com/ pretty cheap there and alot of people are using them

Neck Seal: Darman - think that's how you spell it. He can be found on white armor boards

Weapon: suggest the sci-fire - this you can hold off for awhile and wait for a discounted one or if someone is selling theirs

Boots: TKBoots are the route to go. Have a pair and love them. If you are a size 10, I have an extra brand new pair that I'm willing to sell.

Definetly going TK, prob do the Heavy Weapons Stormtrooper w/pauldron, pack and DLT-19. I will order TK boots today (size 12 & 13 are in stock). I will get on the eastbay site tonight, thanks for the direction. Will start looking for neck seal too. Anything else I can have prepared in anticipation of the armor???

For assembly, you will need snaps and Velcro if you go that route. I used industrial strength Velcro of various sizes for straps and such. For the snaps, I can't remember the brand that everyone recommends. Maybe Tandy?? Robbie can chime in cause I remember him posting in another thread on the topic.

On the the TK boots, you might want to order them a size big so you can add insoles. If you wear a 12 in tennis shoes, then you might want to get a 13. That's what I did and I have room for two pairs of socks and insoles.

Bad news today.

RTMod kit is at least 1 year out in production. Add that to AM kits no longer being made....... So, here I am, no armor, no other options, due to size needs. Suggestions???? Any would be appreciated. May start on another costume, may just wait it out??? Is there a way for me to start getting involved w/o armor????

Sympathy cards can be mailed to my home. :-(

You can watch the FISD boards for an individual selling their armor. It's common for AM armor to pop up for sale still in the box. I will watch the 501st boards for you since you don't have access.

You can put together a quick, low budget costume like an Impirial Officer just to get your foot in the door.