Griffin247

Intro, Info & Assistance - MSG & 501st Newbie

and a pop riveter and various size rivets. you're gonna need at least two for attaching the holster if you go ANH style.

Oh yeah, I already have those so I forgot to mention them. Go to KJ magnetics or whatever, and get them there. crucial for gluing shins, thighs, and forearms.

Nylon Webbing - what size, color, how much?

Rare Earth Magnets - how many, what size?

Elastic - what size, color, how much?

Velcro - what size, color, how much?

Nomex gloves - suggested supplier or just get it?

Rivets and Rivet Gun - suggested supplier or just get it?

I am good on the Drexel, clamps, cutting tools and straight edge.

Will order the belt and Tandy leather snaps.

If you think of anything else let me know.

Nylon Webbing - what size, color, how much? there's a tutorial on whitearmor.net, search 'garter'. black webbing, i think you'll need 2" wide for your waist, and then like 1 or 1.5" wide for the leg straps

Rare Earth Magnets - how many, what size? you can never have enough, start with 24, round flat ones, look like CR2032 type batteries

Elastic - what size, color, how much? black, different sizes, for arm straps and rigging - i think 1" wide is what you'll need more of

Velcro - what size, color, how much? industrial velcro for the stick-on parts, sewable for the straps you'll be making. Sizes and colors depending on how you'll use it.

Nomex gloves - suggested supplier or just get it? ebay or amazon

Rivets and Rivet Gun - suggested supplier or just get it? harbor freight has cheap ones.

I am good on the Drexel, clamps, cutting tools and straight edge.

Will order the belt and Tandy leather snaps. - there is a Tandy store in Nashville, save your shipping and just go get them yourself. it's a cool store anyway.

If you think of anything else let me know.

Elastic/nylon- used the elastic that came with the AM kit. Others don't like it, but Ive had good luck with it. Didn't use it exactly as the instructions said, but trimmed it to my size and added industrial Velcro. For garter belt, I used a 1" nylon strap with a buckle that is for deer hunting. It is used to wrap around tree to hang your equipment on. Found it at Dunhams Sports store.

Magnets- used dime sized with 13lb pull. Should have gotten larger, quarter sized. Used 40 of them and could have used more to glue multiple pieces at once. Was limited by the number of magnets.

Velcro- got it at Walmart in the craft area. Comes in boxes of 1" and 2" wide, black or white, 5' or 6' strips (can't remember which). Used a box of each size and color plus extra black 2".

Gloves- used black chemical gloves for first few troops, but as Robbie says, they are not good for trooping. Left blisters after wearing them for 3 hours or more. I cheat and use black cloth (cotton) all propose gloves that I found at a gas station for $1.00.

Rivets and gun- got mine at Hobby Lobby.

Welcome to the plastic madness Jason! You hooked up with a couple of great troopers to help you get started!!

The kit looks good. Helmet is in rough shape, lots of scuffs and marks. Decal/sticker on frown is ripped, not sure if I can get a replacement or will need to hand-paint. On of the thigh pieces is cracked on the top at the foldover edge, I guess there is a way to fix. Need to get all of my small parts now (rivets, snaps, magnets, Velcro, straps, foam, etc....).

Post pics of the damage, there's always a way to fix things.

As Robbie said, there are very few armor problems that can't be fixed. Between all if us we have pretty much seen it all. Post some pics up and one way or another we will figure out your best course of action.

4 pics in photobucket folder (let me know of there is a better way to post)

http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/Thi247/media/image_zps710c4f20.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

1. Pic of damage to leg piece ( this side seems much thinner than the rest of the piece. May have been a mold or production error?)

2. Damage to frown sticker/ decal

3 & 4. Cosmetic scrapes and scratched to bucket

Let me know your thoughts.

Anything else I need to look at regarding the out of box pieces????

Cracked leg piece. This side and area is much thinner than the rest of the piece

That looks like a cut someone made for sizing. Is it on an edge that joins to the other half?

Cracked leg piece. This side and area is much thinner than the rest of the piece

Oh yeah, that's fixable , just cut that 'return edge' off. Most people get rid of that anyway because it digs into your skin. If you don't want to do that though, you can reinforce it from the inside and just have a little hairline there after the repair. Nobody but you will even notice it.

Also about the helmet, you're going to want to paint the frown anyway, as sticker aren't allowed anymore from what I recall. Get some Testors Gray #1138 and do it to it :) As for the scuffs, if you want to get rid of those you can use either Goo Gone or Novus #2 polish. Before that, you can try a Magic Eraser, those work great for armor scuffs.

You're also going to want to replace those tube stripes, as black ones aren't allowed. Also, the bubble lenses will most likely give you a headache. If you're going ANH stunt version, get a dark green welding visor and cut new lenses out of that. You can get that or buy the lens material from trooperbay.com.

Good luck, and be sure to ask LOTS of questions, we're here to help!

When can we have a TK build event. I will host at the house. Plenth of room in garage and patio. I have seen posts from other garrisons doing these to work on new kits and upgrade existing kits. Could even offer some grub and beverages as bribery/payment for some extra help.

I am going to need some shims to make some parts meet......where do I get more abs plastic????

I was thinking of hand painting the whole helmet eventually. You are correct the bubble lenses were all wonky. What color blue for the tube stripes??? (Same blue as the buttons???)

I am thinking I will have all my parts, paint, rivets, straps, shoes ans neck seal compiled in a couple of weeks. Should be ready to go then. Want to attend a good event to check out others first and take some reference pics before I start too

I am so excited to start but so scared to screw it up too. Newbie nerves. :-)

Let's do a prop party when it gets a bit warmer, you're in a good place to have lots of help.

Depending on how much plastic you need, you might be able to use the shim pieces Trooperbay sells. They are kind of expensive though. A lot of people use the thick for sale signs at Home Depot/Lowes. The white is a little different, but if the shimmed area is small enough it shouldn't matter. What parts do you need to shim?

In my opinion, that FX helmet isn't worth the time hand-painting/etc. Just clean it up, paint the frown, replace the lenses, and get new stickers from trooperbay for the tubes, or get the hand-painting stencils. Troop with it, enjoy it, and if you want to take on a project worth your time, get a screen-lineage bucket eventually. ATA makes a very affordable one - I just built one and I love it.

21927_10100272387252762_753854355_n.jpg

Come out to the event we're having at Lipscomb on the 16th of February.

indeed WELCOME lol. dont know much on TK but if ya get the itch and start a clone or biker im a pro now lol.

Cody,

Where are you in Hendersonville? I am out close to SCHS. Biker & clone prob have a lot of basic build foundations that will apply to my TK. Maybe we could meet up since you seem and I could see your stuff/ get some tips.

Cool I live down walten ferry road. Skip lives in hendo as well. We would definitely be down for helping :D

Hyperfirm DLT19 arrived today. The jawa-like creature at home seems to have taken a liking to it as well. Will have to work out a trade, usually a dum-dum does the trick. Do not want to make them mad. :-)

image_zps0546f472.jpg

Echoing the sentiments, blaster looks awesome. The only thing better than that is a real MG34.