Cipher032

Hello Msg

I'm Joshua and am currently 17. I'm getting into Star Wars costuming and have narrowed my interest to either an AOTC Sergeant or an Animated Phase 1 501st. I've looked extensively through the CTN forums and I believe I have found vendors. It's just a matter of time and money.

Welcome! You'll also have to wait until you're 18 to officially join, but you definitely can begin work! My first costume was an Ep3 41st Elite clone - you might see my build thread on CT.N.

Which vendors are you looking at for clone gear?

Also, what part of TN are you in? Will be helpful to find locals to guide you through a build if you need it!

I'm currently in northeast TN but come end of next summer I'll be in Knoxville at UT. The vendors I'm currently looking at for an armor kit are DW Designs for the AOTC and I believe KW Designs for the Animated. Thanks for the help!

KW is good stuff and Kevin is a great guy. I just finished my Wolffe and its a KW.

Welcome! You will find a lot of good information on the detachment forums. And while you may be a bit short of the age requirement for the 501st, Legion you are eligible to join the galactic academy in the meantime.

Welcome to the MSG Joshua, even though your under 18 if your parent can accompany you feel free to come out to an event sometime. You'll get a chance to see the costumes up close and can pick up some building tips to.

Thanks al! One question for those who are familiar with Clone armor: Does anyone have a preference for Animated or Realistic as far as comfort, difficulty of build, etc. ?

Honestly, a clone is a TOUGH first costume. Lots of build skill is needed in order to do the seamless stuff. I have only built movie style, but I hear the animated is pretty straightforward. All armor can be as comfortable or uncomfortable as you make it.

My honest opinion? Start with a stormtrooper. You'll get into it for cheaper, you'll be ready for the inevitable "official" events where plain TKs are asked for, and you'll learn a lot about building. I'd say you can get into a TK for about half what it'll cost to do your clone.

i agree clone was my first build and it was rough. or just have somebody do everything first and know what not to do LOL.

I found Kev's kit to be fairly easy to build. He has a bunch of tutorial videos on how to build his armor http://www.imperialsurplus.com/instructions.html

The TK is going be cheaper to build but you should get what you want to do. I think I have somewhere $1600-1800 in my clone commander.

Thanks for the input. I have looked at TK armor but it's not what I prefer, although I believe I've found a place to get it: stormtrooper-costumes.com. A friend of mine is doing the same as myself and we're both planning on doing the same costume so maybe with two heads instead of one it could be slightly easier.

Stay away from that website. Go check whitearmor.net.. that's the place to get all your info. That other site is a ripoff

Welcome aboard man. The biggest tip I can give you is take your time and read up on CTN. If you have any questions about the build chances are someone else has already had the same question.

Don't rush, you'll hate yourself for it later when things fall apart or the costume gets very uncomfortable.

Yes. I can tell from looking and reading around you have to be very patient as it will take months if you do it right depending on your costume.

I spent 3 years almost on my clone... most of that was me sitting there scared to cut into the plastic, though.

There are lots of good clones in the Knoxville area - come out to an event and take a look for yourself! See ya!

Thanks. I want to clarify that got that Stormtrooper site right. It looks more legitimate than star fortress. Here's the link: http://www.stormtrooper-costumes.com/ It's also known as stormtoopershop.com and is associated with jedi-robe.com. Was that the same site you were thinking of mxpxrobbie?

Stay away from all that crap man. They will rip you off and sell you a piece of junk costume. Trust me, we've been doing this a while.

http://www.midsouthgarrison.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6826-so-you-want-to-buy-a-costume-and-join-the-501st-read-this/

Alright Thanks. I wasn't questioning you all I just wanted to make sure I was thinking of the same site as you.