Chalupapa

Greetings from Memphis

Hello there,

My name is Mark Brown and I recently moved from Utah to Memphis, Tennessee!

I learned about this group through my research on the main 501st website after having met some members in Salt Lake City.

I've contacted several costume makers but am still looking around at maybe making something for myself. I'm 6'4", skinny, but with a mildly large head. Anyone with tips on getting started with my own armor let me know!

I hope to meet some fellow enthusiasts!

Welcome, Mark. The best thing to do right off the bat is help out as a handler at some local events. You'll meet your future garrison mates and get a better idea on what costumes you might want to do and where to get armor.

Beware that many people who sell props and costumes are just out to take your money and deliver substandard products, are recasters, or other unsavory characters. Always get referrals and ask about a vendor's reputation before you buy.

Pick a costume you really want to do; don't just pick the cheapest/easiest costume just to get in. That just takes time and money away from the costume you really want to do.

At the same time don't get carried away and start with an "epic" costume that'll take forever to complete. The more advanced suits like Fett or Chewie take a year or more to get right.

A good rule of thumb is to pick a costume that you can finish in three months or less with your current skills and resources.

Good luck and welcome to the garrison!

Welcome, Mark. The best thing to do right off the bat is help out as a handler at some local events. You'll meet your future garrison mates and get a better idea on what costumes you might want to do and where to get armor.

Beware that many people who sell props and costumes are just out to take your money and deliver substandard products, are recasters, or other unsavory characters. Always get referrals and ask about a vendor's reputation before you buy.

Pick a costume you really want to do; don't just pick the cheapest/easiest costume just to get in. That just takes time and money away from the costume you really want to do.

At the same time don't get carried away and start with an "epic" costume that'll take forever to complete. The more advanced suits like Fett or Chewie take a year or more to get right.

A good rule of thumb is to pick a costume that you can finish in three months or less with your current skills and resources.

Good luck and welcome to the garrison!

^^^ Very True. I ordered several things and didnt care for it, ended up remaking it. PLEASE consult this forum or forums in your costume, witch there are many and ask a lot of questions.

Awesome! I'm excited to get started! I'm still figuring everything out so any help is much appreciated!

I hope to get to meet some of you and see your handy-work soon.

Hey Mark! I live in Southaven, MS. Those of us get together regularly at the library in Olive Branch for a arnor party. You are welcome to come out and join us.

Welcome! Yes come join us at the olive branch library. The next one is scheduled for Oct 18 at 2