Stormtrooper13

Northern TN hello!!!!

Hello from the Cumberland Plateau... that's Lafayette, TN (Macon County) for those unfamiliar with geography.

My real name is Doug Haehl, or usually ___hole according to my wife. HaHa. I have been interested in the 501st for a while now, and finally got some time to dig for information to start the process... or so I think. I looked on the 501st site and found the Garrison for the Tennessee region... and that has lead me to you all!. 

I have cosplayed a few times as Ghostbusters and Star Wars, but just recently did a Christmas Parade as a stormtrooper (awful cheap halloween costume) and picked up a Black Series stormtrooper helmet (pictured in my profile pic). I love the look and feel, but would like to jump on board and get the real deal. But, I can admit that I need some help. The options are a little overwhelming, and although I feel confident on building one, I would rather buy my first already pre assembled and ready to wear.

Again... any suggestions would be GREAT! 

And a few more tidbits about myself... Marketing Director for a community bank, went to college at MTSU for bachelors and masters degree. Been married 9 years with three kids. Game when I can (which isn't a lot), hunt, play poker, etc. etc. etc. Oh, and like whiskey as my drink of choice.

Thanks!!!!

Welcome to the garrison! You'll find our members have TONS of knowledge about assembly and star wars nerd-dom. While the list of TK kit makers is extensive, none offer a pre assembled ready to wear kit other than RS prop masters, which have a long wait time and may need final adjustment...and not to mention pricey. 

Honestly, putting together a kit is a very rewarding experience and that will more than likely be the avenue you'll have to approach. You won't be going at it alone, we have members who love helping each other out and sharing their knowledge. Anything preassembled would be used and will still need adjustment to your body for proper fitment.

As for makers, check out "Walt's Trooper Factory" on facebook. He makes a great TK kit and not too expensive .

Welcome to the garrison! You'll find our members have TONS of knowledge about assembly and star wars nerd-dom. While the list of TK kit makers is extensive, none offer a pre assembled ready to wear kit other than RS prop masters, which have a long wait time and may need final adjustment...and not to mention pricey. 

Honestly, putting together a kit is a very rewarding experience and that will more than likely be the avenue you'll have to approach. You won't be going at it alone, we have members who love helping each other out and sharing their knowledge. Anything preassembled would be used and will still need adjustment to your body for proper fitment.

As for makers, check out "Walt's Trooper Factory" on facebook. He makes a great TK kit and not too expensive .

Awesome. Thanks!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have a character breakfast that my daughter is doing for her High School Cheer team and it was requested that I come as the stormtrooper I was in the parade. I accepted as it is a fundraiser, but all I can think when I am wearing that crapy costume is that I should be serving under Darth Helmet on Spaceballs. Ugh. Cannot wait to get a good set of armor to represent accurately!

IMG_0511.JPG

Hi Doug, 

My name is David. I went to high school in Lafayette.  I am going to be flying in from San Diego tomorrow to visit my folks for a week.  I am going to try to meet up with some MidSouth members there.  If you want, we can probably meet up during my visit.

That sounds great! I'm not from here, but married a local (Tara Shoulders). I grew up in southern TN in Pulaski (Giles Co.). Worked in Nashville for 13 years and have been up in Lafayette for 5. When did you graduate?

Welcome.  Are you part of TN ghostbusters? Adam is in that as well as the 501st garrison here. I started with an Anovos kit back last February and was leery at first, but once I got going it wasn't so bad. I got a lot of help in the end with sizing and final touches from a bunch of guys I met here at an armor building party. If you have the kit I am sure many will be willing to help out.  It has been a lot of fun trooping in it. Hope you can get a kit together and join in the fun soon.

Shawn, I am not part of the TN Ghostbusters, and really didn't know there was one. Just loved the 80's and costuming. I have made two of my Ghostbusters costumes, sold one in college when I needed money, and made a new one (minus the proton pack). After I complete (or at least try) my stormtrooper kit, I would be very interested in making a light/sound proton pack.

Btw, still trying to decide on a kit for the price. I have contacted TrooperMaster and also ATA. Anvos looks like another option, but wait time looks like 6 months or more right now.

14724563_10209038406529993_1087010987672688701_n.jpg

Yeah. Anovos does their stuff in runs so it is a ways out.  If you meet Adam you talk to him about Ghostbuster stuff. I ordered Anovos' first order trooper about two months ago and is also doesn't come out until about Sept. :(

4 hours ago, Stormtrooper13 said:

TK9277, do you happen to remember Chad Shoulders? I think he graduated in 1990. He is my wife's older brother.

I found him in my yearbook.  1990 would be correct since he was a Junior when I graduated.  I can't say that I remember him but that doesn't mean our paths didn't cross.

On 1/7/2017 at 6:47 AM, Stormtrooper13 said:

Boom!!!! Just ordered my kit through Anovos. Now to sit and wait for the brown box. emoji51.png

You're going to be waiting a good long bit. WTF didn't have any runs coming up? He is usually pretty quick and a great dude to work with.

He was super nice, but $200 more for less in the kit. No straps, velcro, snaps, etc. Just untrimmed armor. For the extra $200 I can wait a little. Several in here said Anovos is good too. Fingers crossed.

Welcome aboard!

For the record, you'll be getting rid of the snaps and velcro that come with the Anovos kit, unless they've made some remarkable improvements with regards to what they ship out.

Welcome aboard!

For the record, you'll be getting rid of the snaps and velcro that come with the Anovos kit, unless they've made some remarkable improvements with regards to what they ship out.

I've read a little on it about getting industrial strength Velcro, but what do I replace snaps with?
Thanks for the help too!!!!

So I have contacted WTF (Rocky) again about his TK kit. Price is $200 higher than Anovos, but ships in about 4-6 weeks right now. Doesn't include anything other than armor. Anovos has really mixed reviews on customer service and shipping, some orders taking more than a year to get. Their kit comes with all Velcro, snaps, closures, belt, and holster, but many say that they are crap and needs replaced. Helmet is also pre-assembled.

Questions...
1. Is the helmet that difficult to put together myself?
2. Anyone with experience with Anovos shipping?
3. Is WTF armor thicker and better made for durability?

Thanks guys!!!