Hello everyone!

My name is Morgan. I call Knoxville, TN my home now, but I grew up in Memphis. I work as a programmer at ORNL. After lurking on the Facebook Phasma build group for a year, I am currently in the process of ordering my Phasma kit! I will be using vacuum metalization (instead of painting) to make my kit shiny, and there is currently a place in Knoxville named Hicks Plastics that does this process commercially. I am waiting for my kit to arrive before I contact them, but I’m wondering if any of you have connections there by any chance.

Also, does Knoxville have its own squad?

Nice to meet you all.

Great to meet you! That will be such a cool build, good luck!

HI Morgan, and welcome to the group. 

Knoxville does not have it's own squad yet, but there is active conversation about it.  While the squad may not be finalized yet, there are several active troopers in the Knoxville area.  Chattanooga has a few as well that often participate in Knoxville area events.  Right now, all the Knoxville events are with the rest of the MidSouth Garrison  events (like Clarksville and Cookeville).  The were at the Knoxville Zoo last week and will be at both the FanBoy Expo event in Knoxville and the Rob-Con in Kingston this June and July respectively.  Knoxville area does get regular events, so if you can see the calendar, don't forget to check often.

You can also troop anywhere in the Garrison area you want, regardless of squads, so don't feel you have to wait for Knoxville events to troop (once you have your costume/armor done) or just come out and meet the group (as a handler or helper).  Sometimes, they have built parties in the area and could provide some guidance if you want it.  Many have built armored troopers and guards before (even if not specifically Phasma). Visiting other garrisons is also pretty easy.  :)

Thanks! So are you saying that I can help out at events/socialize before I finish my costume? Or do I have to wait until that’s done?

Totally! They let me come out to events and I’m not approved yet either! Feel free to hang out and ask around about armor etc, everyone here has been through it too, so if they can help you they will!

8 hours ago, BravePeanut said:

Thanks! So are you saying that I can help out at events/socialize before I finish my costume? Or do I have to wait until that’s done?

Indeed.  :)  Even though you aren't quite ready to troop the event, there is no better way to get to know the other (local) troopers.  They may be able to help you build, find, or assemble parts of your costume... in the form of what you could do... or in some cases what they have tried that didn't work so well.  After all, we have all built or assembled something.

If you want to come out to one of the events that we will be at, please RSVP on the calendar or the posted event and let us know.  Troopers in attendance will know to expect you, look for you, and should be friendly and welcoming.  As a helper/handler, you can still be very a important part of trooping.  You can help troopers:

• suit up ...such as attach the hard-to-reach parts of the armor
  • guide those with limited mobility/vision through doorways, up or down steps, through crowds
  • take pictures for kids/guests that want to be in the image
  • and generally watch out so that the more obnoxious kids/teens/adults don't hit us, get paint, markers, glue, or gum on the costumes, or other misconduct.

Welcome , Welcome!  Always good to get new troopers to the Knox area. As already mentioned,  there's a solid group of local troopers here, and we are all more than willing to help in any way we can!

If you are interested in meeting any of us, we would very much welcome it!  Sounds like you have a pretty cool build planned out. Unfortunately, not sure if anyone in our area has the connections you're looking for, but maybe some will chime in. Look forward to meeting you!