dwoodcock

New from Clarksville

Hello everyone,

My name is Dylan Woodcock. I live in Clarksville, TN

I'm not currently with 501st or Rebel legion or any other group. But I'm quite interested in joining 501st.

I have wanted to join for a while, but due to my job I really couldn't. But now I have time for putting together a costume. I have always loved the TIE Pilot since I was little, so that is what I want to make. 

I'm currently just looking at different vendors for the pieces, looking at advice, and any other pieces of wisdom from current members. I will be starting on the belt very soon.

Hey brother welcome, my name is Rick and I’m in Clarksville as well. You’ve definitely come to the right place. Though not a tie fighter pilot we have several guys who have definitely mastered it... Scott and Braden to name a couple. We have an awesome garrison from leadership all the way down, and it has been an amazing journey for me, and I have met some friends for life. I look forward to trooping with you brother. MTFBWY

Rick
SL33448 (Vader)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another rook for the Flight Deck!  I'm just down the road outside Nashville.  My first 501st approval was a New Hope TIE pilot.  Happy to help in any way!  Welcome and looking forward to watching your progress.

• Like 1

Welcome Dylan.  Before COVID-19, Clarksville had a fairly large number events, so once trooping is back to normal, there will be plenty of events in your neighborhood.  We've had a handful of troopers in Clarksville area as well, so there are others.  Naturally, you'd be able to drive to Nashville area to troop as well, and perhaps before if you want to be a handler/helper at events that do happen prior to getting your costume approved, or troop anywhere else in TN.  Once you get your costume approved, you could also look for events in Kentucky as well (Blue Grass Garrison) if that is convenient for you.  Either way, this is definitely the best time to get your costume ready.

Much like stormtroopers and biker scouts, you really can't have too many TIE pilots at events.  :tie: They are iconic, and usually, one of the few costumes even the most basic and casual Star Wars fan can identify ---when they don't call you "Darth Vader" if we don't have a Vader, that is. 

BTW:  You might consider starting with the TIE Reserve.  It is a good, relatively easy costume to assemble and get approved if you refer to the CRL (Costume Reference Library) on the main 501st website.  It is a good stepping stone towards a TIE pilot.  Then, start working on the armor, chest box, hoses, and helmet.  Once they are ready, submit the full pilot for approval.  If it gets approved, you'll have two costumes and can alternate as you see fit.  :)  A lot of the Imperial uniforms use the same components, so looking at the CRL entries could help you find others that you may like that are similar... and use the same parts you already have (or will want) for your main TIE pilot.  The Officers Corp and the Jolly Roger Squadron for pilots must have had the same suppliers.  :)

• Like 1

I agree with the TIE Reserve. I was planning on starting with the pieces that are required for both anyway. So, I could probably just get the Reserve approved while I complete the armor. Thanks for that idea!

The issue I'm running into is the boots though, and waiting for wampawear to come back in stock for suits.

9 hours ago, dwoodcock said:

I agree with the TIE Reserve. I was planning on starting with the pieces that are required for both anyway. So, I could probably just get the Reserve approved while I complete the armor. Thanks for that idea!

The issue I'm running into is the boots though, and waiting for wampawear to come back in stock for suits.

You can also check out Crowprops, he makes high quality boots.  I got my TIE boots and Kylo boots from him and they are awesome.  He'll ask for your specific measurements, so they are custom to you.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dwoodcock said:

TIE Reserve is also a good backup costume to have anyway.  If part of your helmet or armor comes unglued during a troop or before the event... and you cannot repair it immediately, you can usually fall back on the Reserve until you have time to fix the broken or loose pieces. There are very few events where that won't work or where you cannot troop as TIE Reserve instead of pilot.  In most cases, you can use either one you'd like.  :)

The belt, boots, and the black hat are common in several crewman/officer uniforms.  The optional belt boxes, code cylinders, and blaster/holster can be used to "level up" your costume from a basic crewman to a more impressive one with "bling".  Many of those items can be used with all of these items (or a sizeable combination of them).  In your case, since you know you want to (eventually) get to the TIE Pilot, you only need to get the ones that will work for both.  Off the top of my head, I cannot think of anything that you could get for a standard original trilogy TIE Reserve that you can't also use on the TIE Pilot...except the black hat swapped for the helmet.

I had problems finding the boots as well...since that style of boots without zippers tends to have small calves... or mine are too big.  :)  I ordered mine a few sizes bigger to allow for that, and then use thick socks to fill the gap.