Boozer

Hello from Nashville

Hey everyone.  My name is Adam Vanhooser and I live in Nolensville, TN (just south of Nashville). I am not currently a part of the 501st or any other costuming org but looking to join!

I am currently closing in on the finishing line of my Season 1 Beskar Din Djarin costume!  

I have done a bit of research regarding what is the best starting point for approval but still not quite sure.  I have joined the Bounty Hunter Detachment forums but haven’t found a clear answer there either.  I am most likely not looking in the right spot and am open to some guidance!

I am excited at the possibility of trooping with y’all some day. 

Cheers,

Adam

ECDC3856-565A-440C-BBC0-4052CA25C307.thumb.jpeg.c56df5ee0f4ad8fbabcf4ca4ffd4f22f.jpeg

Welcome, Adam.  Looks good so far...you are on your way.  :) "This is the way."

27 minutes ago, Lord_Kosh said:

Welcome, Adam.  Looks good so far...you are on your way.  :) "This is the way."

Thanks Michael, appreciate the kind words.  It has been quite the process the past year and I have definitely learned a ton.

I think I have sort of figured out the best process to work towards approval.

1. Create a pre-approval thread on the BHG forums to solicit feedback from the BHG leadership.

2. Contact the GML for MSG once I feel the requirements have been met per BHG's review.

3. Submit my formal app.

Let me know if there is a better way.  This is my first time going through this process.

10 minutes ago, Boozer said:

Thanks Michael, appreciate the kind words.  It has been quite the process the past year and I have definitely learned a ton.

I think I have sort of figured out the best process to work towards approval.

1. Create a pre-approval thread on the BHG forums to solicit feedback from the BHG leadership.

2. Contact the GML for MSG once I feel the requirements have been met per BHG's review.

3. Submit my formal app.

Let me know if there is a better way.  This is my first time going through this process.

That sounds like a good start or process.

When you submit your formal approval photos to the GML, you'll typically need to send/attach at least 5 clear, full body inclusive images of your costume with a clean and basic background color behind that does not distort or hide costume features.  They include:

1. front view
  2. left side view
  3. right side view
  4. back view
  5. front view with helmet off, but it can be in your hand(s).

If you have these, it will give the GML a good start.  If needed, send any additional images the GML may ask for if more clarification is needed on any items.  And remember, our GML's are friendly, and will hopefully let you know what is wrong... if anything... so that you can fix that and resubmit it until it is correct and approved.  

But, as you said, some input from troopers here --and on the BHG forums-- should help you fine-tune it before you send it in to a GML to review ...and hopefully make the approval process easier when you are ready to submit your costume.  If you have questions, please ask on BHG side, or even here if you'd like.

Also, you could come out and join us (as a helper/handler) even before you get approval for most events on our calendar. Some events with limits may not allow us to have handlers, or be limited on numbers.  Priority always goes to approved costumes/troopers for those, but several events are opened to handlers or have unlimited signups.  If you were to join us at some of those events, you could get to know the local troopers here at MSG and in the Music City Squad...or surrounding areas.  You could also get to see how trooping works in general, which will hopefully make you even more comfortable once you get approved.

You might also get some feedback --and perhaps even dry-run or test run-- for your costume to make sure it stays together as you troop.  Sometimes, even when the costume works great for approval visually, it may not always work functionally when you actively troop and event.  So, these test cases may help you modify your costume so that it works functionally as well as visually.  Visually, you may not be able to modify much, but you can still customize how your straps work and how things are attached to each other as long as it meets the required specs for approval.  :)

12 minutes ago, Lord_Kosh said:

That sounds like a good start or process.

When you submit your formal approval photos to the GML, you'll typically need to send/attach at least 5 clear, full body inclusive images of your costume with a clean and basic background color behind that does not distort or hide costume features.  They include:

1. front view
  2. left side view
  3. right side view
  4. back view
  5. front view with helmet off, but it can be in your hand(s).

If you have these, it will give the GML a good start.  If needed, send any additional images the GML may ask for if more clarification is needed on any items.  And remember, our GML's are friendly, and will hopefully let you know what is wrong... if anything... so that you can fix that and resubmit it until it is correct and approved.  

But, as you said, some input from troopers here --and on the BHG forums-- should help you fine-tune it before you send it in to a GML to review ...and hopefully make the approval process easier when you are ready to submit your costume.  If you have questions, please ask on BHG side, or even here if you'd like.

Also, you could come out and join us (as a helper/handler) even before you get approval for most events on our calendar. Some events with limits may not allow us to have handlers, or be limited on numbers.  Priority always goes to approved costumes/troopers for those, but several events are opened to handlers or have unlimited signups.  If you were to join us at some of those events, you could get to know the local troopers here at MSG and in the Music City Squad...or surrounding areas.  You could also get to see how trooping works in general, which will hopefully make you even more comfortable once you get approved.

You might also get some feedback --and perhaps even dry-run or test run-- for your costume to make sure it stays together as you troop.  Sometimes, even when the costume works great for approval visually, it may not always work functionally when you actively troop and event.  So, these test cases may help you modify your costume so that it works functionally as well as visually.  Visually, you may not be able to modify much, but you can still customize how your straps work and how things are attached to each other as long as it meets the required specs for approval.  :)

Thanks Michael, that is super helpful.  Appreciate the insight.

Hi there! I'm the GML, and your pics will need to come to me. Just email them to mxpxrobbie at gmail dot com. Everyone above has the right advice - looking great btw! I am working on one of these ever so slowly. 

3 hours ago, MxPxRobbie said:

Hi there! I'm the GML, and your pics will need to come to me. Just email them to mxpxrobbie at gmail dot com. Everyone above has the right advice - looking great btw! I am working on one of these ever so slowly. 

Thanks Robbie!  

Have a few things I’m waiting on and finishing up my Amban Rifle then I’ll get pics together and sent over!

10 hours ago, Boozer said:

Thanks Robbie!  

Have a few things I’m waiting on and finishing up my Amban Rifle then I’ll get pics together and sent over!

Sounds good! Don't forget to fill out the app at 501st.com. Also worth noting, weapons aren't required for approval.