Hello everyone,

I've been very interested in joining this group for a very long time. I would like to buy both a Boba and Jango Fett costume. Can someone help me get started and tell me what the costumes have to be to meet the requirements.

• Like 2

Hello Fett1!!! Great to hear your interested in joining!!!!! What part of Tennessee do you live??? For intrest in Boba Fett, I highly recommend visiting www.thedentedhelmet.com
For Jango needs, I highly recommend going to thebhg.net
Be sure to visit the CRL, Costume Reference Library for Boba and Jango. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to reach out. We are here to help!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Welcome Andrew,

For those costumes, the CRL section you would want to focus on would be here: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRLbyname#BH_-_Bounty_Hunter

You actually have a few options for Boba Fett, and then one for Jango Fett.  You'd only have to match the Level 1 features, but feel free to go for Level 2 or Level 3.  :)

image.png

13 hours ago, Fett1 said:

Hello everyone,

I've been very interested in joining this group for a very long time. I would like to buy both a Boba and Jango Fett costume. Can someone help me get started and tell me what the costumes have to be to meet the requirements.

Welcome to the forums! Congrats, you have chosen two of the most expensive and labor intensive costumes. Typically you won't buy a full costume, but will be putting in work on it yourself and buying stuff from various vendors and fellow costumers.

Welcome!!

Those are both awesome costumes! I haven’t built a Mando yet, but they’re always popular at events. :)

To start out, since they are both large builds, it may be good to focus on just one first and tackle each element at a time (armor, flight suit, belt, boots, etc), that way as you complete each step you are seeing progress! 

As Robbie mentioned, it’s tough to find a one stop shop— the detachment forums John shared links to should have a lot of advice regarding good vendors for each.

A good general rule is to stay away from eBay and double check Etsy sellers with the detachment. Just because someone advertises a costume as being approvable doesn’t mean it is, unfortunately.

If you have any questions about the process, don’t hesitate to reach out!!

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome :). I'm from around the Memphis area. Is there a list of vendors that I can purchase from? I also have a question, why is it so hard not to buy it all at once? Is it too expensive or can the each vendor only make certain things? Also about the Etsy seller that claim they are within 501st regulations, if I post a Etsy listing could some identify if the seller is legit?

P.S. I'm going to the Star Wars showing at the Pink Palace. I heard that the 501st will be there. Is anyone else going? The first time I saw the 501st was at the SW Concert ad the FedEx forum which seems like a million years ago. Every since then I always wanted to join but never knew how. I kept doing research until I found this place.

Hello and Welcome!

I can chime in a bit as I've got experience with the mando kits.  You already hit on the main reason it is difficult to buy everything all at once or together: the Fett kits are very detailed and have many different pieces using a large variety of materials, so there is no one vendor of quality that makes all of them.  You'll find different vendors that can make many of the individual pieces and from there put together the kit.  If you do some research on the Dented Helmet site you'll find reputable vendors for different items.  There are also certain pieces that are very custom to you, such as the armor.  If purchasing these pieces, you would need to provide very specific measurements to ensure the proper fit.  There is also the option of making some parts yourself, which would save on time and money.  Fett armor pieces can be crafted from materials like Expanded PVC(Sintra) for a fraction of the cost of buying them.  And there are free templates and training materials to teach you how to do it.   

You mentioned the upcoming movie showing at the Pink Palace.  I have it on good authority that there will be members of the local clan of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club on hand for that event.  While there will not be a Boba or Jango present, they can offer up lots of good info on how to procure or make the different parts of their kits, as the parts are the same.

• Like 1

If you live in Memphis, there is a squad there, called Twin Sun Squad... covering most of the "Greater Memphis Area".  My guess is that they will be there.  That is not on the forum calendar yet, but may be something that they know is coming up... just haven't gotten the event request for it yet. :)

I have gotten a few decent things off of Ebay, but the trick is to view as many pictures for scale and accuracy as you can, and compare them to the CRL listings you are aiming for before buying anything.  Basically, you have to know what you're looking at and make sure it is really the right items.  Check feedback as well, if possible, and never believe the claims about being 501st Approved.  As the others have said or implied, that usually means it is garbage.  They are looking for suckers to buy it, and once you send payment, good luck! 

Lucasfilm/Disney owns the rights, so until they start selling them directly, no one else would have legal rights to sell such complete costumes.  That is the short answer.  You can sell a DIY kit for almost anything without getting into trouble, but not a completed item. 

The detachments are great at knowing that set of costumes specifically, and the correct items vs some knockoffs.  And, since many of them have built or assembled those exact costumes before, you can be sure they know what you're looking for even more than somone like me that has never built a Boba or Jango Fett (or even Mandalorian) costume in his life.  :)

Well I just did a search on Etsy for fun to see what would pop up. I found this...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/765534491/star-wars-jango-fett-complete-costume?click_key=508009e43c197226de5224e61ca3d10efcb95740%3A765534491&click_sum=01c0e79d&ref=shop_home_active_1&frs=1&crt=1&variation0=1363439567

Is this a good costume that meets 501st regulations?

I am not an expert on Mandos (including Boba and Jango Fett), so I cannot say.  Nothing jumps out at me as bad based on the pictures.  The price is high, but that might be normal once you add all the parts together.   A worry could be that the one pictured is to attract you, and the one you'd get would not be so good...  I see all the customization options on it, so the one in the picture is not the one you're getting.  I see a few other items from that seller for other things... some look nice, others don't look very accurate.  For a $20.00 item, not a big deal if you think it is close and worth the risk... but $4,400 is a lot to risk for him to be almost right... especially if you wind up having to replace parts of it for accuracy.

You could look at the proper CRL and compare/contrast to see if it does.   For Jango, there is only one CRL, so that should make things easy/easier.  Assuming what is pictured is what you'd get, I'd go down the CRL... line by line and see if anything jumps out at you as being wrong.  One little thing that can be easily replaced may not matter for you, but if it adds up, or enough is wrong, you'll wind up paying even more to fix it.  :(

Try to look at everything from the belt boxes to darts on the cuff, to the boots, to the detail on the armor.  I would be nervous to pay so much for it, and then find out when you get it that the dimensions are off, or it is too thin for the armor.  Braden, or another, might be able to help as far as the price range and the details, but don't forget to factor your own size in to it.  If you are tall, or short, or not the same size as the guy in the pictures, it could look great for him and not for you.  You can be bigger, or smaller, but the armor has to adjust with your size just like the flight suit would have to... proportionally. 

If his pictures are exactly what you'd get, and everything fits, it looks pretty good to my eyes.  :) The only thing I notice when I compare them is that the boots look a little too generic... but I'm not sure what tolerance with the treading there is for things like this.  If I hadn't just looked at the CRL, I sure would not have know he had that boot-style.   Ex:

image.png 

vs

image.png

His helmet and some of the armor also looks warn/weathered, and the CRL seems to indicate shiny... but there could be allowances for that as well.  Again, this is not my specialty.  Anyone else have better feedback for Andrew on this?

I would not recommend this kit/seller.  It looks like most of the materials are 3D printed.  Which can be ok, but requires a lot of extra work; that the seller might not put into it(print lines and their removal being the biggest hurdle).  The pictures he includes look pretty good, but like Michael mentioned, that is not what you are getting.  With the seller being in Russia, you could run into a situation where the quality may not be what you expected and it could take an extended period of time to work out any issues.  Which leads to a final point, the seller is in Russia and in case you have missed the news this morning, Russia is about to find itself massively sanctioned which could lead to extended shipping times; and if you look at the reviews shipping times are an issue with this seller when Russia is not invading their neighbors...

As attractive as "one stop shop" is, it rarely works out and you will often find people overcharging for the package deal.

• Like 2