KT Hiestand here. I've been wanting/intending to join for literally years now. A couple years ago I was really looking into costumes, and then the pandemic happened. Well, I'm finally doing it. I have no creative ability in terms of making costumes, so will need loads of help in that area. But I'm really looking forward to connecting with others who share my passion for Star Wars.

Hello, and welcome  :)  Depending on what you are building, the 501st forums are a great resource.  I built a TK with a lot of help from whitearmor.net, and I am about the least handy person you'd ever meet.  I'm now building a Scout Trooper, and the pathfinders forum has been supremely helpful.  Whichever armor/outfit you are building will have its own 501st related forum, so I would start there.  I would invite you to my armor party, but I live on the other side of the state!  Maybe look for those in your area, as well.

Hello there and welcome to the boards.  Like Ron mentioned, there are a ton of resources out there and a lot of people in the Garrison who are happy to help out with advice.

We've all been there, starting out with our first kit.  Let us know how we can help!

Welcome to the garrison.  :)

There are all sorts of officer-classes that don't require too much in terms of "building"... which are more of an "assembly" than a build.  If you aren't sure where to start, that could be a great place to begin.  Of course, once you get settled, you can always add to your costumes with more complex armor builds.  A lot of the officer components can be used on or for other costumes as well.  The black flight suit is the base for a lot of costumes, for example, so if you are interested in anything like a TIE pilot, gunner, or even a biker scout, it is a great place to start.

It won't help for costumes like stormtroopers, but it would give you a "soft" costume as an alternate.  It will be a great way to relax when the harder armor gets too hard to troop in on long troops... but a stormtrooper is always a crowd-pleaser.  So the real trick is to narrow down what costume(s) you want to start with...  :)