Hi everyone!  I'm new to the site.  I'd like to learn more about the 501st.  I'm interested in a couple of characters, so I would want to learn more about the 501st overall and then get some input before I decide.  

My Name is Vickie Courson

I'm not affliated with any 501st, Rebel Legion or other costuming group affliation(s)Nesbit, MSYour location

I learned about you through a friend of a friend on FB.

Why you are requesting access to the MidSouth Garrison discussion board - I'm interested in joining and learning about the group.

• Like 1

Hi Vickie,

First, you might want to check out the MS garrison, Rancor Raiders Garrison officially.  http://www.ms501st.net/  MidSouth Garrison covers TN, but if you are close enough to Memphis, TN, you might want to work with us in some part as well.  :)  MSG has a few squads where the majority of the members of the MidSouth Garrison, and one of them is the Twin Sun Squad which is the Memphis area group. 

We troop (go in costume to various events) to help support several charities.  Before COVID-19 came into focus, we had a lot of events in TN, and I'm sure that MS did, too.  Events have started to pick back up again, and are nearly back to normal, but we still take safety in mind for each event and follow local protocols --if any-- when at the events.  We also get invited to other events such as conventions and Star Wars movie premiers, and some sporting events if LucasFilm Ltd. approves the event.  So, the trick is to pick out and start working on building or assembling your first costume, and you can add more later as you build them and get them approved.  The goal is screen-accurate costumes and that it fits you appropriately.  However, if you are not sure what to do, or where to start, there are bound to be a few troopers that can help point you in the right directions.

You can come out to events and meet many in the group if you are already going to the event and there is no special limit on the event.  Twin Sun Squad has several events coming up, and the closest ones are on April 30th.  So if you were going to the Patriot Fest or the Carl Perkins Annual Superhero Day, you are bound to see a few of the MSG troopers in attendance.

I also invite you to look at the main 501st Legion website for the details.  https://www.501st.com/mission.php   But, there are plenty of other details directly on this site you should look at.  If you have some 501st costumes in mind, you can also find the CRL (Costume Reference Library) here that shows the details needed for each costume, and some alternate/optional ones  you can also have.  https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRL

Thank you so much!  I am just outside of Memphis, so I would be interested in the Memphis groups.  I've been to the Jackson, MS and Memphis comic cons, so I am sure I have met and gotten pictures with a few of you!  I have a couple of costumes in mind, but want to talk with some of the current members before I start one or the other.  I will definitely take a look at the calendar and try to attend one of the local events around the Memphis area and introduce myself.  I appreciate you sharing the info and I look forward to meeting everyone!

From time to time, we also have events in Jackson, TN... and if you want, you can also come out to Nashville, TN and see us there. If you were going to go to the ICCC at the end of April, you'll see a lot of us here.  If you are able to travel, you might like the Chattanooga and Knoxville area events as well.  The events closer to Memphis will be on the Twin Sun Squad calendar, but other areas will be on the other calendars by squad or in the general MidSouth Garrison calendar...  Feel free to checkout out each calendar. :)

This weekend, in Huntsville, AL, you can see several of the AL Garrison there as well, and there are bound to be a bunch of visiting troopers there as well from other garrisons. 

Hi Vickie! Nice to meet you! :) 

Michael has already given all the good information, but feel free to reach out here on the boards if you have any costuming questions!