Nym

Greetings

My name is Craig Dorsey. I currently reside in Sevierville, TN. My sister, TI 9653, is a member of the 501st Florida Garrison. Also I believe I know Jason aka TS 1620 via an old mutual friend, Tad. My sister has been after me to look into joining a local Garrison of the 501st for some time. I found the MidSouth Garrison via the 501st web site. I requested access to this discussion board so that I might learn more about the 501st, MidSouth Garrison, events, costuming, etc.

Hey Craig, glad you can join us! We've got lots of events coming up as we approach the holiday season along with the Star Wars In Concert tour hitting Nashville this December. Is there any particular costume you're looking at doing?

Hey Craig,

Welcome.

We have several events over the next few weekends. Please come out and meet us anytime.

Is there any particular costume you're looking at doing?

I actually have a set of white armor though it does need some work. I am wanting to make modifications to Sandtrooper. I also have some Jedi (Anakin/Obi-Wan) costumes I've put together over the last few years.

Welcome.

We have several events over the next few weekends. Please come out and meet us anytime.

Look forward to it. Just getting over a bout with the flu. I hope to make it to Adventure Con this weekend though.

Let us know if you need any help with your armor. There are several of us around Knoxville that can help. I haven't done a sandtrooper, but I'm sure we can figure it out...

Let us know if you need any help with your armor. There are several of us around Knoxville that can help. I haven't done a sandtrooper, but I'm sure we can figure it out...

Basically your standard Stormtrooper add a pauldron (white, black or orange) backpack (optional) and maybe a what was it? a T-21 heavy rifle? perhaps a water based paint for a bit of dirt and grim look.

hi hi! I just moved up here from Florida Garrison, what part of Florida is your sister in? I'm lazy or I'd look her TI number up lol

Sandtroopers for the win, too. As for the dirt, I have a ton of Fullers Earth left over from my sandtrooper build, I could mail you some. After a bit of woodlands model liquid paints and rubbing that into the scratches/cracks I think adding Fullers earth (its a powdery sand like stuff) in various colors using hairspray as the adhesive is a great look. Plus its not forever stuck on there so you can clean it off and as long as you have a different AB plate and knee plate you can switch back to TK designation pretty easily

hi hi! I just moved up here from Florida Garrison, what part of Florida is your sister in? I'm lazy or I'd look her TI number up lol

Sandtroopers for the win, too. As for the dirt, I have a ton of Fullers Earth left over from my sandtrooper build, I could mail you some. After a bit of woodlands model liquid paints and rubbing that into the scratches/cracks I think adding Fullers earth (its a powdery sand like stuff) in various colors using hairspray as the adhesive is a great look. Plus its not forever stuck on there so you can clean it off and as long as you have a different AB plate and knee plate you can switch back to TK designation pretty easily

My sis TI 9653 is in the Orlando area.

I appreciate the offer though I was reading about others using water based paints for weathering which sounds like it would work well and clean up easily too. I just picked up some boots today that I believe will work well though I need to redye them. They are Borelli Junction leather ankle boots (should be easy enough to google a pic) and the look is on target but color is black.

Welcome, like Diddy mentioned, we've got a hive of 501st persons in K-town. We build crap, troop, drink and get thrown out of clubs by bouncers or end up in the ER (in that order, most of the time). If that's your bag, we may have a place for you :angry:

Welcome, like Diddy mentioned, we've got a hive of 501st persons in K-town. We build crap, troop, drink and get thrown out of clubs by bouncers or end up in the ER (in that order, most of the time). If that's your bag, we may have a place for you :angry:

Austin-Powers-Pump.jpg

My sis TI 9653 is in the Orlando area.

I appreciate the offer though I was reading about others using water based paints for weathering which sounds like it would work well and clean up easily too. I just picked up some boots today that I believe will work well though I need to redye them. They are Borelli Junction leather ankle boots (should be easy enough to google a pic) and the look is on target but color is black.

I really dont think you are going to be able to paint black shoes white , especially the ones that arent quite the right make and shape, and get your trooper approved to join the 501st :(

the CA boots (they changed their costume product name to pimpinshoes) are 30.00 more than you probably paid for the Borelli's and are what most of us wear. Notice the shape is completely different and they are not a textured leather boot and rounded toe. http://www.pimpinshoes.com/product/1SCSSTO...NKLE_BOOTS.html

Also what brand of water based paints are you looking into using? If you arent careful you can end up looking like a sewage treatment plant trooper instead of a sand trooper with those lol

Not trying to be a jerk, I just want you to not waste a lot of money trying to take short cuts that lead to you getting denied membership if that is your ultimate goal. If you are just building armor for fun and have no interest in official membership, thats fine too :)

if you havent already, make sure you check out the MEPD detachment at forum.mepd.net and a garrison mate's found items backpack build here is also great Backpack Tutorial

Just FYI, I DID in fact paint black boots white and got membership.

I have some "real" stormtrooper boots now, but I still wear the old painted ones often, cause they are much more comfortable.

I long ago stopped giving much of a damn if I was 100% screen accurate, because the FX suit itself isn't even close :) !

I attached a front and back pick of my base Stormtrooper outfit as it currently stands. I need to make some tweaks to the way everything is held together so this weekend it's off to Wal-mart/hardwarre store for pop rivet gun snaps, cement etc ....

post-1071-1256337405_thumb.jpg

post-1071-1256337416_thumb.jpg

I really dont think you are going to be able to paint black shoes white , especially the ones that arent quite the right make and shape, and get your trooper approved to join the 501st :(

the CA boots (they changed their costume product name to pimpinshoes) are 30.00 more than you probably paid for the Borelli's and are what most of us wear. Notice the shape is completely different and they are not a textured leather boot and rounded toe. http://www.pimpinshoes.com/product/1SCSSTO...NKLE_BOOTS.html

Also what brand of water based paints are you looking into using? If you arent careful you can end up looking like a sewage treatment plant trooper instead of a sand trooper with those lol

Not trying to be a jerk, I just want you to not waste a lot of money trying to take short cuts that lead to you getting denied membership if that is your ultimate goal. If you are just building armor for fun and have no interest in official membership, thats fine too :)

if you havent already, make sure you check out the MEPD detachment at forum.mepd.net and a garrison mate's found items backpack build here is also great Backpack Tutorial

Great tuts there, thanks. It would be nice to be accepted by the 501st. But to be honest if they are going to get that picky then they should sit down some time and look through all the pics displayed for all their members on the official page. There are many I'm sure that are far from screen accurate.

No big deal to me though, I just have fun suiting up and hitting Adventure con and misc places during the Halloween season etc. :(

Howdy Craig,

Welcome to the MSG :)

Hey Jason,

Thanks, how are you? It's been quite a while.

Welcome to the boards man and if I can help in anyway let me know. If you also want to join the RL with the Obi-Wan costume let any member of the RL know. There are many on here who are members of both the 501st Legion and the Rebel Legion.