Dirk Gently

Greetings All

New forum member here:

I just started building a Boba kit for my son and decided that I liked building Star Wars armor which made me think of the 501st. I will ultimately go for a Boba or Jango build.

My background has been historical reenacting so this will be something of a switch for me. As I am still reenacting Civil War ( and not SCA now days ), admittedly I won't make many 501st gigs, if indeed I make it in. But I am going to give it a shot.

In turns of crafting: I am an experienced blade and armorsmith and have recently turned to general blacksmithing for trade goods in the Civil War scene. I can work with steel, leather, fiberglass, glass, wood, ceramics, painting and computer graphics. I even have the workshop space and tools to cover those areas, with the exception that I no longer cut glass.

I have three children and my wife is an excellent basket maker and an art teacher. I have a farm with an orchard and a few horses and I grow the best blackberries in Southern Kentucky, if not all of Kentucky.

/Salute and Cheers,

Thanks for looking us up. Sounds like you have some serious skills, so working with plastic (hopefully) won't be a problem for you. As far as trooping with the 501st once you get in, it shouldn't be a problem. There's trooping opportunities going on all the time.

Have you ever made it down to the Chickamauga battlefield? I missed the reenactment this year but have seen them before. VERY impressive to say the least.

Welcome!

I love when people post an intro as if it was a job interview. It takes a lot of guess work out of us wondering if a new person will have the skill to accomplish their desired task. Sounds like you would be up for the challenge though. One word of advice (having built a Boba costume myself), budget accordingly, it is a money-pit of a costume. LOL

May I also suggest (if you haven’t already), joining up at the thedentedhelmet.com They are the best online resource for everything Jango and Boba related.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Have you ever made it down to the Chickamauga battlefield? I missed the reenactment this year but have seen them before. VERY impressive to say the least.

No I haven't made it to Chickamauga... Yet...

I love when people post an intro as if it was a job interview. It takes a lot of guess work out of us wondering if a new person will have the skill to accomplish their desired task. Sounds like you would be up for the challenge though. One word of advice (having built a Boba costume myself), budget accordingly, it is a money-pit of a costume. LOL

I am a Human Swiss Army Knife when it comes to skills.... which is handy in things like this. I've heard it said that A Fett build can be costly, but I know it can't be as bad as outfitting in both Confederate and Union kits, plus all the camp gear and weaponry.

And I'm on TDH as Dirk Gently, the Wizard of Flight templates I have found indispensable. This first build has been a learning experience and it will produce a Halloween grade Boba costume for my son. I have had several epic fails on the helmet alone... but live and learn. The first time you build something is the hardest and I'm already thinking over process improvements, especially in building the dome into the sub-helmet before over-laying the visor-ear plate band. ...but more on that after I am done mutilating this first attempt...

Thanks again for letting me in the front door.

/Salute

Welcome fellow reenactor. I do WW2 and would love to do some Civil War stuff. I'd be glad to help with your Fett as I have done both Jango and Boba.

Welcome aboard and hope to see you soon Jeff! What part of Southern KY are you in?

As a direct decendent of 3 Confederate Veterans of the Bloodies years in American History. I am a minor Civil War Historian. I proudly display and fly either the First National Flag of the Confederacy or the Bonny Blue Flag. Living here in Chattanooga and at the foot of Lookout Mountain you really cannot escape the Civil War history. I guess basically I think this is totally awesome. However, welcome to the Mid-South Garrison. Ye-Haw!

Salute,

Welcome fellow reenactor. I do WW2 and would love to do some Civil War stuff. I'd be glad to help with your Fett as I have done both Jango and Boba.

Thanks for the offer, I might have to hit you up on details. WW2 eh? I had heard something to the effect that WW2 reenactments were happening but you are the first I've come across. My grandfather is a WW2 vet, he started in North Africa and ended up in Berlin. 5 Bronze and 1 Silver Star ( non Combat-V, for theater ops only) and I have 2 of his captured weapons.

Welcome aboard and hope to see you soon Jeff! What part of Southern KY are you in?

I am in Allen County just north of the Tenn. border.

As a direct decendent of 3 Confederate Veterans of the Bloodies years in American History. I am a minor Civil War Historian. I proudly display and fly either the First National Flag of the Confederacy or the Bonny Blue Flag. Living here in Chattanooga and at the foot of Lookout Mountain you really cannot escape the Civil War history. I guess basically I think this is totally awesome. However, welcome to the Mid-South Garrison. Ye-Haw!

Salute,

My heart is with Dixie, but like most Civil War reenactors, I galvanize. The 2nd Ky is The Orphan Brigade of which I am proudly a member of.