Sign in to follow this  
Big Daddy T

Wanting to be a new member

My name is Todd Lavender, I reside in Spring Hill,TN. I have attended Star Wars Weekend in 2007 and 2009 and fell in love with the idea of being able to be Darth Vader. When I saw my sons eyes when darth walked into the room for autographs, I knew what I had to do. Join the 501st. Any help or suggestions for costume would be appreciated.

start saving up, expect the cost to be about the same as a small vehicle.

some people get the rubies costume for about 500-600,but it isnt considered good enough for membership.

while it can work for local or small events, almost every part has to be replaced or upgraded eventually.

Todd, welcome! Skip is right, Vader is a tough (and expensive) costume to do. It might be better to try another costume first (maybe a stormtrooper), then if you like trooping you might decide to take the dive into the deep end of the pool and build a Vader. You can also register on the Sith Lord detachment here and become familiar with "all things Vader". We have an event Saturday afternoon from 12-6 pm at Toys R Us in Franklin if you want to stop by and introduce yourself.

Thanks for the response. I can probably make it to ToysRUs around 3pm. I would love to meet some of you. Who will be there? As far as the Vader costume. Would the rubies costume be a goos starter vader and just upgrade it as I go? Thanks

Todd

Todd, welcome! Skip is right, Vader is a tough (and expensive) costume to do. It might be better to try another costume first (maybe a stormtrooper), then if you like trooping you might decide to take the dive into the deep end of the pool and build a Vader. You can also register on the Sith Lord detachment here and become familiar with "all things Vader". We have an event Saturday afternoon from 12-6 pm at Toys R Us in Franklin if you want to stop by and introduce yourself.

not if you plan to join with it , if your gonna do some little local events un-related to 501st,then by all means your free to wear whatever you wish. but the rubies isnt considered up to par out of the box. we do alot of events where the costumes need to be approved.

Id start researching the parts of the suits,also the sith lord detachment has a nice detailed list of the items of the rubies suit and what all needs to be replaced,far to much to get into here.

as a Vader costumer for 7 years now i can assure you,this is not easy costume to build and what you might not be aware of,its an even harder costume to wear. weve had many members over the years build and break out the suit only to realize the heat of those layers was too much to handle.go put on a leather suit,then wrap 2 capes around yourself,then lay armor over the shoulder,belts around the waist and throw on a huge helmet.its not easy ask Zach sometime about it( ill let him chime in) he has trooped for years in armor(which is like plastic underwear,LOL).he did vader for a short time and almost passed out.

If vader is something your interested in go for it,just start doing ALOT of research and ask alot of questions!!

Hey Todd, welcome to the group.

I am just up the road from you in on Columbia Pike in Franklin. Send me a PM and you are more than welcome to swing by to look at my vader, TK, Clone, etc. I can explain the difficulty of each costume, and give you some direction.

Skip is right, a quality vader is very expensive, and is a build you want to put time into. One of the best ways to do this is to aquire parts over time from various places as the good deals pop up. Get on the Sith boards and the RPF asap. You may also find a good quality used costume that you could upgrade. I bought a costume that was right at $1200, mainly for specific pieces, and have since upgraded all the metalic parts to aluminum, bought jack boots, etc.

PM me sometime

Welcome Todd. Hope we can see you soon and help to get you on your way to a costume. Listen to the Vader experts they will save you $$$.

Hey Todd,

Welcome.

We've got quite a few members in your area, you should have no trouble getting good direction.

Hope to see you soon.

Hey Todd,

Welcome.

We've got quite a few members in your area, you should have no trouble getting good direction.

Hope to see you soon.

Welcome Todd,

Granted i do pre armor Vader so i'm not an expert on the armored vaders by any means. Bue the impression i have gotten about the Rubies is often times it cost you more in the long run to do all the upgrading then if you buy the parts individually. Definately check out the Sith Lords detachment they can be a big help. Whatever costume you do make sure and do your research first it will save you time and money. Anyway welcome aboard.

after looking at this thread again,i wanted to add this in to the conversation;

if you REALLY want to do a certain character,then do it.research everything and go for it.we are being VERY realistic in our comments regarding prices for doing Vader however. we can help you with armor if thats something you like also,but if you dont want to do a TK then dont,youll end up selling it and working on what you really wanted.

also take into consideration skill level.if your the crafty type,its possible to make some parts but few people can jump in at that level.

heres the toss up

do TK-pay a nominal price and troop 2 weekends after buying the armor

do vader- begin buying peices and finance out your butt..then troop 2 months to 6 months after starting(if your lucky) :)

Greetings and welcome to the boards. I wish I could also help you with the Vader; however, I am a lonely snow trooper. However, I can tell you what ever you decide make sure its the right costume for you. What I am saying make sure it is a costume you will enjoy. We can also say that a costume is never finished. You, will always find ways to improve a costume and eventually you will move to another or several other costumes.

Todd now that you know that some costumes are more expensive and time consuming then others..... If you still have your heart set on a particular one then go for it. It might take you a little more time then you thought but, you will be happy with your choice at the end.

If you are concern about whether you want this costume or not... then handle at a few events and maybe one of the members that have a Vader might let you troop in it for a while to see if you truly want to go down that path.