rook

Potential Vader needs some insight

Does the Garrison need/want a Darth Vader?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a MR ROTS Helmet and some other items, but want to make sure that the Garrison has the desire for another Vader.

As a followup to this post, I have been considering submitting an application for joining.

I'm open to everyone's input and recommendations.

building a vader is a personal decision,regardless of what others want or need.

i read the other thread,being new to the costuming world id not recommend it yet.but BUY the helmet anyway.itll look good on display and if you decide to do the costume youll have the helmet.

vader is expensive and carries with it different needs than other costumes.being the lead face character is more demanding and definatetly not something to jump into.this wont make sense to most new people but come out to some events and youll see what this means.vader must stay out the longest,not remove the helmet in front of anyone,stay in character the entire time.if your a smoker then you better give it up since smoke breaks are difficult and the suit cant smell like smoke(hey atleast youll have the weezing and heavy breathing down :) )

if your plan was to buy a rubies vader costume and upgrade,youll want to get over to the sith lords detachment for the complete list of modifications that need to be done.most of that costume has to be replaced. being an 8-9 year vader veteran,i can tell you alot of those parts wont last anyway.they arent made well enough to wear numerous times and hold up.some of us costume year round and wear out these costumes.

if you got the money to build it then do what you want regardless of 501st,have fun with it.

lastly,if you are able to travel to events all over the area then youll do alot of events,if you are stuck in just your area then take into consideration we do very few events in memphis.that suit will get little use unless your gonna hit the road and go other places.

Also bear in mind that Vader is probably the hottest costume there is. We actually have a lot of folks in the garrison with Vader suits who wore them once or twice and just couldn't do them. You've got leather or vinyl all over you, with several layers of capes and heavy armor over that. Even when people open up the back and take all the tricks to try and improve air flow and make it cooler, it's still an oven.

What's your physical build?

Nobody wants to see a short Vader... or one that's too tall. Being an important face character, your personal body is a huge part of the appearance.

Other than that, do what *you* want to build :)

Thanks! I bought the rubies, and it was great for the office parties and for Halloween. I wore it for 9 hours at the office and had a great time. I was at my company's headquarters and ended up taking a LOT of photos.

I'm 6'1" 200lbs. I had the suit tailored since the XL version was big around the waist. I tried the standard one, but it was too short. I also had the tailor add vent slots since it got hot in testing. I built a voice changer / amp by dissembling a radioshack amp and combining it with a voice changer kit. I also hooked it up to an old iPod with a breathing loop. It worked pretty well. The other mod was replacing the lenses sine the stock ones are really hard to see through.

The suit was still pretty hot, but bearable. I really enjoyed myself and since have been reviewing what it would take to make it 501 ready. I could mod the rubies helmet, but I'm afraid I would get into a perfectionist circle and constantly finding things to fix. The MR helmet would be nice to display as well.

[another edit]- I don't smoke regularly, but I can enjoy a good cigar once in a while.

I could mod the rubies helmet, but I'm afraid I would get into a perfectionist circle and constantly finding things to fix.

This is going to happen no matter what suit you do. I got my crappy version of Fett in '07 and am astill replacing things, as are a lot of people who got quality stuff the first time around. There's always people coming out with better/newer versions of parts, and nw stuff you're gonna want to add to make your suit more accurate/enjoyable to wear.

What's your physical build?

Nobody wants to see a short Vader... or one that's too tall. Being an important face character, your personal body is a huge part of the appearance.

Other than that, do what *you* want to build :)

Ditto.

I have a ROTS Vader that started out as a Rubies Supreme, so if you have any questions shoot me a PM. I will say this though, I did replace almost every part of the Rubies with the exception of the armor and the capes. But just as everyone on here has already said, even the parts you do keep need to be modified before the 501st will except them. So far, my entire costume with upgrades has cost me in the ball park of around $3,500. And needless to say, I still have things that need to be done to it to meet my approval.....lol

This is going to happen no matter what suit you do.

you are probably right, but I'm hoping that any mods to a MR lid would be limited...

I have a ROTS Vader that started out as a Rubies Supreme, so if you have any questions shoot me a PM. I will say this though, I did replace almost every part of the Rubies with the exception of the armor and the capes. But just as everyone on here has already said, even the parts you do keep need to be modified before the 501st will except them. So far, my entire costume with upgrades has cost me in the ball park of around $3,500. And needless to say, I still have things that need to be done to it to meet my approval.....lol

Awesome. Thanks for the offer - I'll probably take you up on it.

Questions---

Is this link still valid on the adjustments, or are there more needed for approval?

http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?showtopic=2244

lastly,if you are able to travel to events all over the area then youll do alot of events,if you are stuck in just your area then take into consideration we do very few events in memphis.that suit will get little use unless your gonna hit the road and go other places.

This is still sticking with me. Is this due to a small group in Memphis or what?

a "small group" is an understatement.theres only a couple of people there (one of them having a vader)and its hit or miss to get an event going in memphis.in 9 years of doing this ive only trooped in memphis when we all got together for midsouth-con in march. that event jumped the shark a few years ago and hasnt seen a real 501st presence in some time.there was even a real st.judes hospital event earlier this year that had to be scrapped due to lack of interest.

thus the comment regarding the need to travel to other areas.

you can also join the mississipi forum since your not far from them,some of the rancor raiders are on here and can likely help ya get on their forum.thats another good group to get involved with for events that might not be too far from ya.

I hope no one minds me chiming in here. If you want to know the specifics about modding a Rubies or simply building your Vader from scratch. Or if you want to know more about trooping scenarios in the costume, we can probably help you out on the Sith Lord Detachment. But Everything that has been said here is correct. One thing about the MR lid by comparison to the Rubies lid is that you won't have to mod the MR for the ROTS Vader. We do have a full list of modifications available for your inspection if you'd like to come visit us.

a "small group" is an understatement.theres only a couple of people there (one of them having a vader)and its hit or miss to get an event going in memphis.in 9 years of doing this ive only trooped in memphis when we all got together for midsouth-con in march. that event jumped the shark a few years ago and hasnt seen a real 501st presence in some time.there was even a real st.judes hospital event earlier this year that had to be scrapped due to lack of interest.

thus the comment regarding the need to travel to other areas.

you can also join the mississipi forum since your not far from them,some of the rancor raiders are on here and can likely help ya get on their forum.thats another good group to get involved with for events that might not be too far from ya.

sounds like a challenge. Hopefully once I have my costume completed enough to be approved I can help the leaders with supporting more events. I also like the idea of joining missippi events if my schedule permits.

I hope no one minds me chiming in here. If you want to know the specifics about modding a Rubies or simply building your Vader from scratch. Or if you want to know more about trooping scenarios in the costume, we can probably help you out on the Sith Lord Detachment. But Everything that has been said here is correct. One thing about the MR lid by comparison to the Rubies lid is that you won't have to mod the MR for the ROTS Vader. We do have a full list of modifications available for your inspection if you'd like to come visit us.

I have been lurking on the SLD site for a few weeks now. I haven't yet posted, but you are right - tons of great info. Is this the link you are referring of?

http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?showtopic=2244

I'm hoping that is still accurate. Confirmation from someone would be great. If not, please point me in the right direction.

It is for the most part still accurate. We prefer the use of the MR if possible though. Other than that, everything is the same. Send me a pm if you need any help brother.

Very cool. You will like the MR Vader helmet. I was able to get one recently and I don't regret the purchase at all.