Sign in to follow this  
imperial armourer

Newbie from Smyrna

Hello fellow future troopers. My Name is George, I currently work for stanley steemer and I plan on reinlisting back into the U.S Army. I do not own any armor right now but its on the way. I have been making and producing props and costumes for the horror genre for the past 4 years and have really gotton tired of it. So I have decided toe put my talent and skills to the movies that I truly love . Im currently waiting on 4 molds of various helmets to arrive so I can start making and selling them to the people and fans that cant afford the uber exspensive master replica ones. I will also be producing the storm trooper and clone trooper armor in the future which will also be very affordable. I look forward to meeting some of you guys and attending some of your events.

Welcome George. Feel free to come out to any event and introduce yourself.

Just curious, are your armor mold your own sculpts?

No sir, I cant sculpt a clay turd, They are coming from a friend of mine in the United Kingdom. Im getting the pieces from him and molding them over here. I belive the helmets may be off the master replica ones. I will be able to look at them more closely when they get here. I have the 2 clone trooper versions from episode 2 and 3, The clone piolet and the return of the jedi storm trooper. I mainly cant wait to get the armour to start trooping.

sounds interesting,

have you done alot of vaccumforming already? are you going to be producing the stormtrooper armor in ABS plastic? or styrene?

are these molds recast from the FX stormtrooper armor by chance? they dont make that anymore and im sure alot of people would need replacement parts.

Hey George, welcome to the forums. You have peeked everyone's curiosity with what you have in the works. Keep us posted and come out to an event sometime soon.

I'm a skeptic...

Welcome George! Do you realize the can of worms you just opened? I mean really, have you not researched the 501st policies on producing (or possibly recasting) these sort of things? We're all walking a very fine line of bootlegged/unlicensed items. To show up and say "hi, I'm not part of your group, but I want to sell you stuff. oh and it may be a recast of licensed prop"... it's just bad form. I'm not trying to be a jerk (although I am), just wanting to give you a heads up and make sure you don't get yourself into some sort of trouble.

On a side note, I'm needing to source at least a 4'x4' vac table. If you got one, drop me a line.

Jon raises a great point, and he isn't being a jerk. George, if you have not researched the venture you are about to take on, I highly recommend you do so. Forums are littered with the skeletons of new members that thought selling recasted (or their own slightly modified castings) at a cheaper price was great idea. Most costume builders will stray away from recasted items for several reasons.

If your serious about joining this group and participating, we are very welcoming and would love to have you come out to an event and hang out with us. Heck, I grew up in Smyrna, so it would be nice to meet you. But, if your only intent in posting is to sell items down the road, I can tell you that isn't going to go over well here.

Having said all of that, feel free to pm me with any questions. No one is being a jerk, I think they just want you to know what end of the pool you are about to jump in to. :)

I appreciate the look out guys, I have 4 years experience in vacuum forming and producing masks,and props from various materials including plastic resin and fiberglass. I have dealt with recasters and the legal ramifications that surround it before. I clearly stated that I belive the helmets were cast off the master replicas. I do not know for sure, Im a 3rd party customer on them. I fully intend on joining the 501st as soon as my armor comes in. Im currently set up to do styrene, but I do use a much thicker .125 for durability. Im currently building a table and heating element in my work shop so I can use A.B.S.. I plan on doing some of the buckets out of fiberglass and also vacuum forming them. The armor will be vacuum formed 100%, but I will make it out of a thicker plastic, Im not a big fan of the thin stuff, Looks great, but doesnt give the feel of what the armor should weigh and feel like. The reason why I jumped in and said it will be cheaper is because I dont belive in price gouging true fans. I believe anyone that loves the movies should be able to enjoy and own some armor. I understand the uneasy ness of some outsider jumping in and saying hes gonna do this and that at a cheaper price. But, I have given this some thought over the last 5 months and I have a whole catalog of weapons, props and costumes that I plan on releasing. Just please, all I ask is to not judge me until you see my work. I take pride in what I make and work on and I try to pass it on to my customers.

George, thanks for the additional info. Unfortunately, it is a common occurrence for people to pop up on the forums, talk about molds, vac forming, etc. and bad things seem to happen. We have a Costume and Prop Building section of the forum. Feel free to share pictures/info of some of your work there, even if it is non-Star Wars stuff. A lot of us have several areas of interest, so I am sure your work will appeal to a lot of folks.

well TK armor pulled in styrene would have to be painted glossy white.thicker plastic wont have the detail as standard .080 ABS will.id be curious to see the pulls though.

if the molds are coming from others then were still dealing with the trooper armor being recast from the FX armor, of possibly even a GF suit.i doubt anyone will recast the new AM armor.

if this is "reworked molds",then youll definately have some interest.especially if you can arrange an ABS supplier since you cant find it locally.

The clone armor is a different story since any clone armor will be recognizable as clone6,one stop clone shop or Glover.again,unless the molds have been reworked theres gonna be some recasting issues ,because one of the current Clone armor producers/molds is owned and produced in mid Tn as well. :D

George, what was your MOS in the Army?

Instead of reinventing the wheel, which will cause you problems. Have you considered improving common problems with the TK armor that many large framed TK encounter?

Hey man, I was 11 hotel which they have done away with since I got out. I did all my osut training in ft benning and my airborne training. What common problems are you refering to?

I was a 11 Charlie. Been a little bit of everywhere.

TK ARMOR PROBLEMS: Many Troopers who have a larger body frame have issues with forearm pinching, thigh and leg armor needing shims,shoulder bells being too small. New CRLs want side abdominal plates added to TK's also.

To recast the common standard armor will cause you legal problems, but I believe you will be OK if you improve whats already been done. Thats just my opinion.

If you could mold or created these parts with a built in snap system would be awesome too.

TK ARMOR PROBLEMS: Many Troopers who have a larger body frame have issues with forearm pinching, thigh and leg armor needing shims,shoulder bells being too small. New CRLs want side abdominal plates added to TK's also.

AM armor address most of these problems... but in itself it creates different problems for the other 3/4th of the troopers out there. Let's make really big armor and than it doesn't work for most of the guys in the Legion. I want everybody to be able to participate and build the costume they want, but we also need to use some common sense. screen accurate storm troopers are about 5'10" and an average build. If somebody is bigger (or smaller) they really should consider other costumes better suited to their size. I've seen bigger guys pull off some kick-but costumes, gamorrean guard, Republic Commands, Vader, are a few that come to mind.

This group is all about fun, but when we go out in public people we have to maintain a certain appearance.

I have dealt with recasters and the legal ramifications that surround it before. I clearly stated that I belive the helmets were cast off the master replicas. I do not know for sure, Im a 3rd party customer on them.

From Wikipedia:

An oxymoron (plural oxymorons or oxymora) (from Greek ????????, "sharp dull") is a figure of speech that combines contradictory terms. Oxymorons appear in a variety of contexts, including inadvertent errors such as extremely average and literary oxymorons crafted to reveal a paradox.

Bottom line (in my opinion) is you do not know where these sculpts originated from. You are not the creator or sculptor.

I can still hire a sculpter to sculpt new buckets and even armour if I want to. I have done that in the past and when I do that I retain the rights to sale the products from the molds.

What Jon is getting at is you are opening a can of worms, and this is a sensitive issue. You can't expect to come on a forum where no one knows you, say you are going to sell licensed product that you don't own the rights to and not expect some folks to be a little alarmed and cautious. With the amount of recasted stuff out there on the market, it is easy to understand the resistance you have received. You might want to do some research on other folks who have "sculpted Star Wars items" and thought they retained the rights to sell that as well. They received nice legal letters from LFL.

We have seen this kind of thing happen before. So, here is my suggestion to you; come out and meet some of us at an event or two. Let us get to know you, and then we can go from there. We are a very welcoming group, but this is starting out on the wrong foot. Also, Jon is one of the most gifted sculptors/prop makers we have in this garrison (and we have several that would fall in to this group). I would also ask that you extend them some courtesy when you are the new guy coming on to the boards.

Remember, no matter what you sculpt, you won't own the rights, LFL does, and can shut you down anytime they want.