Hi........ My name is Jeffrey Shuford ! I have no affliations with the 501st(wish to one day though) or anyone else. I live in Rutledge Tennessee . Its just a little place about 30 minutes from Knoxville and about 20 from Jefferson City TN. I learned about the 501st from David Hester (SithLord66) He suggested this forum to me and said I should introduce myself so here I am!! I have never done any type of custuming but I wish to start. I wold like to get a custume as a battle damaged (armor scarred and cracked in a few places) 501st Clone Trooper. Either that or I would like to try to the Sith Lord Darth Malgus. I've got to attempted to convince the wife that I need to start purchasing this stuff first , hopefully she will cooperate and make things simple or I will have to pull the "im the Commander and Chief" on her and tell her I'm buying myself a custom suit :P:) But I would like to get know some of you guys and maybe one day become a member. Star Wars is like my escape from reality , I love the Characters the drama I just love everything about Star Wars. From the Preqeuls to the Expanded Universe. I try to buy up and collect all of the action figures that I come across. I hope yall have a super day!! Thanks, Jeffrey

Bat Bob ,Thanks man for that information !!! I will go with Clone Trooper and I am very Excited to get started with this "Addiction". Is it even possible to have a Battle Damaged clone trooper? I don't even know where to begin or where to start looking.

Welcome Jeffery.

We have some great members over in your area, many with clone building experience. Feel to come out to an event sometime and introduce yourself.

Hey Jeffrey! Glad your here and yes you should come to an event and get to know the members. After all when you get your Clone trooper done and approved you'll be trooping together. I went to the March of Dimes event in Athens last weekend, met and helped out some of the members. Also the Clone troopers link I sent you will be of alot of use. You may have to curtail your action figure collecting until you've finished your build. Just get a piece at a time instead of getting it all at once and the wife want declare order 66 on you,lol. I would start out with the helmet though because it will give you the motivation to keep going. If I can be of any help you know you can ask.

Welcome to the boards Jeffery. As far as clones go, you can be quite dirty, but you can't really have pieces missing or partially torn up. You can be quite liberal with the weathering though. They let me in after all! Look up 8418 on the legion website and you can see an example of a dirty clone.

If not already directed there, check out clonetroopers.net. That's the clone detachment of the 501st legion and that is an excellent place to start. Just get on there and read and get to know people and then you will figure out who to talk to about parts.

As others have said, come out to an event sometime. We always need people out of costume to help us and take pics. The next big event I can think of in Knox area is June 4th at the roller derby event.

Welcome!!! Your in a great area for building a clone with a lot knowable people that can help.

Welcome Jeff! My best advice is to get on CTN and read,read and read! Knowledge is the key!

I'd tell you to go with clone as well... mainly because MSG has the best clones in the legion. hands down! the amount of help to get you looking awesome around here is insane.

Hey Jeff, and welcome to our little piece of insanity/utopia! I can't add much more than what everyone has said. Best rule of thumb, ask us before you buy, and stay away for Ebay. You will not find quality stuff there as most of it is recasted. Our garrison has a ton of clones, and we would be happy to help out. Come out to an event and hang with us, and hopefully you will be trooping soon.

Man you guys I want to thank all of you !! Yall know how to make a person feel welcomed :) Thanks for pointing me in all the right directions! And as Dune says hopefully I will trooping soon :P

welcome,

i think you need to be forwarned that a good clone can easily be one of the more difficult suits to "build". because unlike alot of the suits where you gather parts and wear them, the clone armor actually has to be assembled and painted and its alot of work.especially daunting for someone new.

Ive got 2 clones as well,so i like clones.but dont want anyone to think they are gonna "throw one together". definately keep prodding around and getting info.but once your ready to actually do it,get with the local clones for some help.

sl100 , I was researching around last night on my lap top and found my was to a i think was starfortress.com??? something like that. Anyways I seen all of the armor and stuff there and remember thinking surely you don't have to do all that painting on it ??? it does look like it can be a lengthly process ! I thought maybe it was best to shop around by a piece or two here and have someone else do my suit. Since this is my first ! Thank you for the welcome , you and Alex

With the cost of Toys these days if you stop collecting for a month or two you can buy a costume with no problem. Hope to see you soon.

Jeff, do a LOT of research, and ask questions, and stay away from Starfortress.com.

Where would a good starting point be for me? I assume by you saying "Research , Research , Research" would mean to look out for cheap products or scams but we all know how far assuming will get a person sometimes. I just really don't know where to begin , I've introduced myself in the forums at clonetroopers.net and have kinda looked around there website but thats as far as I've went. LOL i'm just right now kinda like uh , what now? Tambo , I will have to stop collect for a month or two :)

Starfortress bad. Stay away

Somebody around might be able to get ya in touch w some clone armor.

And YES every part will have to be assembled and bondo'd and painted. Come to an event and see some clone armor and see what your getting in to.

WoW , that sounds like a a lot of work! sounds fun though......Clonezilla mentioned that he thought there was an event in or towards knox june 4th im gonna try to be at that one :)

Here is where to begin: What clone do you want to be? A standard grunt white clone, an Episode II or Episode III clone, a clone commander, and animated clone, etc (and I know I didn't hit all the variations). Once you decide that, you will have some idea of what you will need to buy. On CT.net, you can use the search button there or check the for sale section to get an idea of vendors, etc.

Also, some thought needs to be given to how you will look in armor. If you are a skinny dude, you can pull off most any clone. If would be considered a little 'healthy', you might want to stay away from an animated clone version. If you are 6'4", I would recommend building a Vader, lol.

As Skip has already pointed out, this is not going to happen overnight. Any clone takes a while to build if done correctly. And, so you don't have sticker shock, depending on the clone you build you could easily spend between $1,000 to $1,500 or more (and that doesn't include the tools you might need to buy). That is why we are saying to take your time and do your research.

I 100% agree with Skip telling you to come out to an event and see some armor up close. That will give you an idea of what is involved. I would be happy to help you out as well.

Hope that helps.