Sign in to follow this  
xtrachrispy

New Guy from Knoxville TN

'Ello everybody at the MSG. I guess this where I tell a bit about myself. My name is Chris. I live in Knoxville, work in Sevierville, and as of right now I have no finished Star Wars costumes. I am currently building a Sith Inquisitor based on a piece of concept art for The Old Republic, you can follow my progress on that here:

http://www.thereplicapropforum.com/f24/lord-reigns-sith-inquisitor-works-pic-heavy-140287/

I also have completed Cobra Commander and Cobra Crimson Guard uniforms and made my wife's Crimson Cadet uniform. I have about 10 years of sewing/costuming/leather-working experience but am pretty new to the prop / movie armor building thing. I have always wanted to join the 501st but the cost / time /knowledge of putting together a trooper suit has always eluded me. However, I am looking to change all of that. I have actually met a few of you over the years at various conventions. I have been all over the RPF and have been doing active research for months now. I've been doing various tests with pepekura, card stock paper, foam, bondo, fiber glassing, ect...

I really don't know where i am going with all of this so...

hope to see you all around,

Chris

Welcome Chris! We have several folks that have GIJoe/Cobra costumes as well. You are in the right place!

Welcome to the MSG Chris, feel free to come out an event and hang out with us anytime.

Awesome man, glad to have you around. I may actually be talking to you about getting a little leathe work done. There are lots of opportunities for skills like yours around here.

Most of us are pretty good with plastic and dremels but leave a little to be desired in the sewing arts.

Lookin forward to meeting you this weekend at comic con. I may bring a project I have been workin on with me and see if you think you can do it better.

Welcome Chris! Did you troop this years parade with "Cobras Finest" at Dragon*Con? I was Destro with them last DC, nice to see more Cobra/GI Joe members joining MSG.

Welcome to the boards Chris. Feel free to come out and hang out at a troop sometime and check everything out.

Welcome Chris! Did you troop this years parade with "Cobras Finest" at Dragon*Con? I was Destro with them last DC, nice to see more Cobra/GI Joe members joining MSG.

Yes I was the Crimson Guard who was carrying the standard during the parade. My wife was the Crimson Cadet running around us filming the parade.

Thank you all for the welcomes. i hope to see you all this Saturday and of course I will make all of my knowledge and experience available as I am sure you all will. i still remember the old sad days where everyone made props/costumes but would never give you any info about how they did it. So glad those days are mostly gone.

i hope to see you all this Saturday

Where/what is going on this Saturday?

Welcome Chris. Check out the Prop Building threads. Quite a few get togethers brewing. Please bring your stuff and come hang out.

Where/what is going on this Saturday?

Lexington Comic Show. Looks like it's going to be a really good turn out. Wish I wasn't working this weekend.

Figured I'd give an update.

First I want to thank everyone for their help and suggestions. As of right now it looks like my 1st build will be a movie style Clone Trooper (probably phase 2, or Episode 3 trooper). At the Kingston prop party i am hoping to see some of the finished suits up close to determine what will fit me best and quality. Right now I am looking at the Atin, Bozo the clone, and OSCS movie kits. Of course i'm also pricing all the little extras for the suits as well.

Mainly I guess I just want to re-iterate that I am taking all of this very seriously and plan on making this a long lasting hobby and group of friends. I am sure the 501st gets several messages a day from people wanting to join up and then they randomly bale out. I have been doing costuming, cosplay, larping for almost 10 years now. More importantly than that though, and this is where it gets more personal, I work in Special Education. No one needs to have any fear of whether or not I am willing to volunteer or if my heart is in the right place. I have been working in SpEd for 2 years now and am focused in Assistive Technology. I foresee my membership of the 501st being helpful to my community but also vice-versa.

I also have a few friends and family members who are also looking to join up, so expect our Garrison to keep getting bigger...

For the Empire!

"I have been doing costuming, cosplay, larping for almost 10 years now. '

LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT! :D :D :D