scruffy_looking

Allow Myself To Introduce… Myself.

• My name is Matthew Macias, I am from Southern California, but living in Elizabethtown Ky. I am a medical retire from the Army and have stayed in the Ky area. I have wanted to be apart of the 501st for a long time, and looking into starting my first trooper armor. I have a friend who told me how to sign up, and has been giving me the tools I need to not look too much like an FNG. I look forward to being apart of things as time goes on, meeting troopers in the area, and constructing my armor. Thank you all.

Hello, and welcome! Always cool to get new people in Kentucky! I'm just outside of Nashville, though. Still, you're at the right place, which armor are you looking at?

To be honest I have been looking at getting a kit from OriginalStormtrooper.com but looking over a lot of information that has been put out about armor I am still open. All the acronyms that are used goes over my head.

OK, here's some help: Do NOT order from that site. There's better stuff out there for less money.

Second: How tall are you and how much do you weigh. That's the first deciding factor in TK armor.

Third: What's your goal? Do you want to wear this armor a LOT, or do you want it to mainly be a mannequin piece and only wear it here and there. Are you wanting to go hyper accurate, or just meet basic 501st clearance?

Fourth: What's your budget? Keep in mind aside from the plastic itself, you're gonna need boots, an undersuit, a holster, canvas belt, a little paint, a neckseal, and of course tools and supplies to get your build done.

We can get you sorted pretty easily, there's a lot of people with tons of knowledge here.

Thanks for the Info MXPX. I'm 5'7" and +- 210. I am looking to use the armor quite a bit and willing to put in the time and effort for accuracy. As for my budget, I am very flexible so I can get what is needed. What I am looking to build first is a TX - Novatrooper Sentinel and go from there for others.

Thanks for the welcome draggonhammer.

Just say no to originalstormtrooper. We can help you find much better. And thank you for your service. Look forward to trooping with you. Seems like the Legion attracts plenty of ex-military.

Well, black armor then... you need to get a black kit. Keeping a white kit painted black is ridiculously difficult. That limits your kits down a bit though. I know ATA makes a black kit (Doug on here just finished one... his name is DarthDyer76) and there may be some older AM kits out there. NE may be doing black armor sometime but I think he needs a minimum order to make the plastic purchase worthwhile. Not sure if RS or RT-MOD make black kits.

If you go ATA, you will probably need to shim it a bit, that's usually not a big issue though. Having said that, you want to get on his waiting list like NOW. Last time I heard his wait time was between 6 and 8 months for a kit. Email ataworks@yahoo.com and ask to be added to the list. You don't have to pay anything until it's ready to go, and you can back out at any time.

Stay away from originalstormtrooper.com, jedi-robe, ebay, rubies, and all that stuff. There's a lot of people out there selling inferior products for a premium to folks who don't know any better. If you find something out there that we haven't mentioned either here, the SpecOps detachment, or FISD (whitearmor.net - you can use the same build techniques as white armor, naturally) then please ask before dropping your hard earned credits.

Look forward to meeting you soon! There will be a bunch of us at the Lexington Comic Con coming up, if you can make it there, come say hi!

Also, I assume since you're looking at a character from SW Galaxies, you played it? I loved that game... played for a couple years on Bria server.

Ah, yes... the Nova Sentinels are the newest Spec Ops addition, within the last few months as I recall... I do like the silver... maybe an option down the road... I'm still waiting to see the finished product for the illuminated Shadow Trooper from The Force Unleashed... one of the guys on the SpecOps board is trying to get it Legion approved... his test shots are pretty BA:

ShadowTFU01_zps1392e7c2.jpg

ShadowTFU02_zps6f700486.jpg

ATA's armor is awesome... very sturdy, and I'm very pleased with the shiny black... I can't imagine trying to do upkeep on one of the old HIPS kits that required painting (YIKES)... I know the guy that sells NE had said he found a few black AM kits stored in his garage and was willing to part with them cheaper than normal... troopergear@gmail.com if you're interested in that, but I'm not sure what he's got left...

Welcome Matthew. Please join us at an upcoming event. We have some things scheduled in Ky.

Welcome to the boards. I'm North of you up in Louisville. I don't have a lot of experience with armor but the we have plenty of other people here that can get you squared away. But if you need an extra set of hands when it comes build time let me know.

Cool, you're right up the road from us. Gwynne and I are on Ft Knox for the moment. Like Larry said, come out to the Shephardsville troop and meet some folks.

jw, glad to hear some are close by. i was station on Ft knox for 2 years as an MP. Im there a lot. Hope you don't mind if I pick your brain with things or meet up sometime.

jedimika, hope you don't mind if I bother you a bit either. I play ice hockey in the ville twice a week so i might try and make a meet with you.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and all the great info. I feel better about going at a kit now, and asking questions. I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can and getting out there and helping with what I can as a handler if needed.

E-town, eh? I'm a little further than JW, but not as far as Mike, if you find yourself at Knob Creek give me a shout.

Jay and maybe Angie are coming out to the house this weekend to work on some things. Feel free to come on out. I have some armor left to build for my Rexes but mostly it will be silicone work and some molds. We're next to the fire station in Johnson between Pell and Ironsides.

Welcome to the MSG. I look forward to meeting you at a troop soon and will be at the one in Shepherdsville and of course there is a big convention in Lexington the following weekend.

jedimika, hope you don't mind if I bother you a bit either. I play ice hockey in the ville twice a week so i might try and make a meet with you.

Don't mind at all :)

Welcome to the Midsouth Garrison. I have a number of friends in the Southern California Garrison and a number of friends also in the SoCal area.