2.ooohhh

So I Finally Got Here, It's Been A Long And Windy Road.

• Erik Rumbaugh

Former MTAC staffer, also previously an unaffiliated cosplayer/attendee at numerous cons.

Brentwood, TN (just south of Nashville)

It's all LCJedi's fault (she told me all about the 501st several years ago when we were co-workers)

I wanted to get on the boards so I can better coordinate both my own costume building/gathering adventure and possibly help the Garrison with future events.

A little about me:

I work at Vanderbilt Medical Center.

I frequently volunteer around town.

I used to be a semi-professional photographer.

I was previously a BMW electrical technician and diagnostician.

I have over the years amassed an arsenal of tools that seem to frequently overlap with my hobbies.

Over the years I've been known to weld, mill, turn, form, print, and cast.

Special thanks to Raychel, Don, Adam, and Edwin for all your splendid hospitality at the recent Way Late Play Date it was great fun. My wife getting to try on Edwin's helmet pretty much sealed the deal, she had a blast, and I'm now researching armor options trying to decide what exactly to make/buy/assemble first.

14667098129_3b49ee172f_z.jpg

*I certify that no users were PMed in the construction and posting of this message.

*I certify that no users were PMed in the construction and posting of this message.

Haha... welcome to the club! You look familiar... I'm sure I've seen you around at various cons. What armor options are you considering? We can steer you in the right direction!

Welcome to the MidSouth Garrison Erik! I look forward to you joining our ranks very soon.

Welcome Erik but you know you gotta get your wife to sign in too. We all know who the bigger SW fan is :P

Haha... welcome to the club! You look familiar... I'm sure I've seen you around at various cons. What armor options are you considering? We can steer you in the right direction!

Well I'm stuck between building(time consuming b/c I'm OCD) and buying(seemingly expensive) so I'll likely buy a complete set of one type first then build further sets to fill in different variations as I have time. I just upgraded to a dual extrusion 3d printer and I'm itching to use it for some new cast aluminum molds via lost PLA, but I figure it will take a few attempts before I get a mold good enough to mold my first piece of armour. Smaller molds I've done often have air pockets upon milling that have to be filled by hand via TIG before I can use them. It's not a dealbreaker but it's very time consuming and tedious.

I guess my question is which stormtrooper armour can be most affordably purchased and is reasonably accurate to troop in while I tinker with building others. I'm not picky as to which film the armour is accurate to ATM as far as I'm concerned being a stormtrooper from any of the films is better than none.

Hey buddy, send me an email, edg1957@aol.com , I will send you some info. We build TK in Nashville fairly regularly, will be happy to help.

Welcome Erik but you know you gotta get your wife to sign in too. We all know who the bigger SW fan is :P

I'll try and get her on, she's not really into most forums and at the moment is knee deep in Dr Who episodes to catch up on since I finally got her to start watching it. :D

I am a great fan of Imperial Crew to get started, it is affordable and gets you in the Legion, and is the foundation for other costumes like Tie Pilot Reserve, Regular Tie, and Gunner too,

Welcome, Erik! Glad you want to join us... Ed can point you in the right direction... he's our resident TK expert... We've built nearly a dozen TKs (and my Shadow Trooper) over the last year with Ed's help. Sorry I didn't get to meet you Thursday at the Science Center... I opted for the Trek soft costume, when normally I would be in the shiny black armor... you and your wife should come out to the Sounds game this Saturday and visit with us!

Oh, and I'm right there with your wife on catching up on Doctor Who. I'm a relatively new Whovian and just got caught up in the last few months thanks to the beauty of Netflix. Can't wait for the new season!

I am a great fan of Imperial Crew to get started, it is affordable and gets you in the Legion, and is the foundation for other costumes like Tie Pilot Reserve, Regular Tie, and Gunner too,

Cool, it's too late in Germany to start the quest for imperial crew boots today, but I'll get on it first thing tomorrow morning.

Your wife can go TK too if she enjoyed wearing Ed's helmet.

It was a real pleasure to meet and troop with you this past Saturday Erik! You are already clearly an asset to our Garrison!