Chris Thom

Reliable Info For A Newbie

OK, first let me introduce myself. My name is Chris Thom, I have been following trooping for a while now and believe that this coming year may be the time to start. I was friends with Ryan Jones who I knew via the band he played with, LowCash Cowboys and also make part of my living working with an artist on the road.

I guess the question I need to start with is finding reliable information on who some suppliers are. In reading through some forums I found this page (http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/) but see that the last activity is over 3 years ago. Is this info still up to date & accurate?

Now before everyone out there starts to criticize me, I know that the purists out there say that you should only build your armor yourself from scratch (I've read more than a few posts that say that) but honestly I'm not sure that I have that skill set to not have it come out looking like crap. Plus I'd rather not have to learn and buy a vacuform table. This is where I need to start. If this disqualifies me from participating, then so be it bu I hope that it doesn't.

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

On a side note, I do a lot of SW gaming (LCG, miniatures, etc) so if anyone out there is interested, let me know.

That post is pretty accurate for being three years old. It's safe to say that it probably has been updated over the course of time because RS propmasters has been added. Think the only vendor that I recognize that's not on there is NE.

When they say build from scratch, they are probably meaning buying someone's kit and building it to your body.

Most people build armor kits like Uncle said. Welcome to the group. What are the costumes you are interested in? We can help lead you to the products.

Welcome, Chris! I'm there with you when it comes to the crafting side of it.. I don't think I'd be able to make molds and form plastic myself.. But if you get a kit from one of the vetted makers, we will definitely help you assemble!

We have lots of knowledgeable folks around who can help and have the experience.. What are you looking to build?

Welcome to the MSG Chris, As others said buying a kit and assembling it is the way to go.

Thank you for the welcomes.

I was thinking about starting with the classic ST at first though I am also especially fond of the Phase II Clones.

TK is always a good way to start.. The type of armor you need depends mostly on your height and size.. I've got a shadow trooper made by ATA, and I'm a shorter guy (5-7, 160ish).. Taller folks go with AM or RT-Mod.. Lots of options.. When built correctly, all the kits look good..

Come out to one of our events and ask questions, see how everything's put together.. Also, snoop around on whitearmor.net and look at other builds..

Welcome To Midsouth. Suppliers depends on what you are wanting to wear.