nathanallan

Hiya from Nashville!

Hi guys! I just registered and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Nathan, just moved back to Nashville from living in El Paso for a long while, I was born here. I saw the original Star Wars movies in the 1970's as a small child and have been a fan ever since.

Since leaving Nashville, I joined and ETS'd from the Army, joined and ETS'd from a marriage, as well, haha. By trade I am a computer network technician and hardware guy. I have been called Maker by people around the internet and humbly accept the title when it comes up :)

I got into prop making when I got into 3D printing. It was a whole new world for me of making, modding and generally having things do something interesting that they were never intended to able to do before. I never dreamed a coffee can could become parts, or that things that were tossed out could be given new life as something totally else, either functionally or cosmetically until I started this!

I ran a hobby group using my 3D printer called Dusty Plastics, but that didn't work out with one of the other people involved, so it stopped. I am learning about foam prop making now (3D printer is broken, pending repair) and foam, Nerf blasters and repurposing is what I have to work with now.

I just moved here a few months ago, and took a part time job at a gas station where I met two of the troops getting gas after leaving an event just down the road from me. The paper dispenser jammed (this is totally the FORCE at work-- what are the odds!!) and one came to the window asking for his receipt wearing a Stay On Target shirt and 501st BDE hat, I recognized it immediately!

I was a goofball at that point. He and I talked just a few minutes and his friend came out, said (paraphrasing), What's this I hear about a trooper with NO ARMOR???

They had to get on their way, so they didn't stay long, but they told me of the forum and website, and gave me a sticker, now on my car!

I'd like to make my own armor, not purchase it, if I can figure it all out and try to become a contributing member.

Thanks for reading this kind of long winded introduction, hope to see you all around!

Nathan

post-1795-0-35302400-1454268461_thumb.jp

Welcome and good luck. Youve come to the right place. Ask anything and someone will help you! Good to have you.

Welcome! We are happy to help, share progress of what you are working on and we can advise as you go. In general, armor does need to be a rigid material, but depends on what you are doing!

I live in Franklin and we'll be building some kits here soon.

Thanks everybody! Yes, I am looking to make armor from not foam and since I only have things I can reclaim I have been looking around.

I have read that I could cut parts out of a wal mart trash can, and found similar plastic trash cans at dollar general, cheaper and closer to me, also made from the white plastic. When I moved from Texas I lost most of my materials and tools, are there any get together that I can attend, or meet up with people who make things in a kind of maker fair style thing?

What kind of materials should I look out for? Also, I think this needs a new thread, not this introduction thread. I'll be reading, thanks again, guys!

Because it was easy, I got a white trash can from Big Lots today. Not the most professional way to make armor but being on a budget it will work. Next is a heat gun to mold it a little better than it already is.