Cylence

Greetings from Northern Kentucky...

Well Hello all. My name is Brian Bates, I work for a college book publisher(yes the devil) in Northern Kentucky. I watched the 501st grow through the years and am looking to possibly give it a go and try to join your amazing ranks.

I am a father of a 22 month old, my little angel Stella and am married to my best friend Kristin.

I am new to this whole costume thing so I am not even sure where to start. I have looked over the 501st page and have a few possibilities I would like to explore for submission. I know creating this outfit isn't cheap but I am definitely interested in doing it myself. How do I get started? What kind of money is involved in getting started? Is there anyone near me also into this?

Thank you for your time.

Brian Bates

• Like 1

Welcome Brian,

It really depends on what your interested in. Some people like myself start with soft costumes like Officers or bridge crew like myself just to get in and trouping.  There is allot of information in the forums, and if you can't do something there many talented folks in the forum for sell trade forums that have pieces you many need they have made to fit your costume needs. I'm going to be putting together my Imperial Officer here in around October. I have some historical costumes need commissions to finish and then it's me time.  Everyone here has been were you are. All you have to do is ask.  

Welcome aboard.

Brian, we do have a few troopers up in Florence that may be able to give you a hand.  I'm just down the road in Georgetown.

In order to help us guide you, we kind of need to know what you are interested in.  But for starters, Stormtrooper pricing range from 800-1200, Boba Fett 3000-5000 and crewman 300-400.

That actually helps quite a bit. Thank you. As I said I have never done this before so it is all new. A stormtrooper or a variation would be something I definitely want. They are so awesome looking. A crewman might be a good start to get me into it I can steal my parents sewing machine.

Crewman? Sewing machine? My ears are ringing, someone must be radioing me in...

Hello! So, northern Kentucky, eh? Down around Louisville here, but you've got good people around you. Come around, meet people, don't be a stranger. We'll teach you good.

Welcome. I'm actually in Campbellsburg, Ky.  I'm not a member of the Midsouth Garrison But I do troop with them at some events since I'm a member of another Star Wars Costuming Group known as The Dark Alliance.
 I would like to meet you too. Hope you do come to a troop.

Welcome. I was new when I started the 501st. Youll fit right in. lots of fun. You wont regret it.